Beaulieu the only way to use c-mount

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

boohoo

Beaulieu the only way to use c-mount

Post by boohoo »

Are the Beaulieu cameras the only system that allows for a c-mount and super 8 film? Also does anyone know anything about the Nalcom ftl and the Miida ftl cameras? What kind of lens mount do they have? All these cameras look interetsing but are impossible to find information on. Does anyone actually own one? I want to know what options are available for super 8 using c-mount lenses.
Lunar07

Re: Beaulieu the only way to use c-mount

Post by Lunar07 »

boohoo wrote:Are the Beaulieu cameras the only system that allows for a c-mount and super 8 film? Also does anyone know anything about the Nalcom ftl and the Miida ftl cameras? What kind of lens mount do they have? All these cameras look interetsing but are impossible to find information on. Does anyone actually own one? I want to know what options are available for super 8 using c-mount lenses.
The Bolex H-8 Rex4 DS8 (Double Super8 ) is another heavy duty camera for Super8 that uses C-mount lenses.
escubria

Post by escubria »

The Fujica ZC1000 single 8 camera is c-mount and has a guillotine shutter like the Beaulieus which means that 100% of the light reaches the film plane. The single 8 cameras also have better film registration and image stability.
boohoo

Post by boohoo »

Does the Bolex H-8 Rex4 need modification to use super 8 carts? Sorry I was not specific before, but I cannot load my own film. I thought the bolex was 8mm, as for the Fujica ZC1000, I have never seen one for sale. I live in Los Angeles California and I use ebay and I have NEVER seen one. Every week I am buying and selling cameras and the fuji is to rare to consider. Not to mention single 8 film from fuji to the USA costs $150 USD for 5 rolls and no processing. Its way out of my price range. Can someone tell me more about the Bolex H-8 Rex4?
aj

fuji prices

Post by aj »

Not to mention single 8 film from fuji to the USA costs $150 USD for 5 rolls and no processing.
Well, it takes 13400 Yen for 5 rolls processing included. That would be about Euro 100. Still somewhat more than K40 but competitive with other color (and blackandwhite) reversal films
Kind regards,

André
escubria

Post by escubria »

Boohoo, processing is included when you buy the 5 rolls of single 8 film from Retro in Japan, for approx. $150. So that's about $30 per cart.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

boohoo wrote:Does the Bolex H-8 Rex4 need modification to use super 8 carts? Sorry I was not specific before, but I cannot load my own film. I thought the bolex was 8mm, as for the Fujica ZC1000, I have never seen one for sale. I live in Los Angeles California and I use ebay and I have NEVER seen one. Every week I am buying and selling cameras and the fuji is to rare to consider. Not to mention single 8 film from fuji to the USA costs $150 USD for 5 rolls and no processing. Its way out of my price range. Can someone tell me more about the Bolex H-8 Rex4?
What Lunar07 was talking about is the Double Super 8mm converted H-8 Rex. This can only take 16mm wide roll film with Super 8mm perforations. Other cameras like this include the Canon Scoopic and Pathe Double Super 8mm versions. They all only use roll film, not cartridges.
boohoo

Post by boohoo »

Sorry,
I keep forgetting that there are many professionals on the board. I have a very small student budget and I am not a film major. I am a anthropology major and coincidentaly happen to be the only person in the department with any experience with film based photography. Everyone uses digital still photography and DV cameras in my anthropology department. But they forget when your in the middle of nowhere and can't recharge lithium batteries or buy CR batteries you screwed. Their equpiment goes dead and I am always the one who ends up taking all the pictures and doing video work. It happens 100% of the time. Not to get off subject, but using kodak is a lot cheaper because the plant that fullfills orders is near my home. I just place the order and pick it up. For $150 USD i can get 16 rolls of kodachrome, I then develope it in the school lab for free. I am not really worried about equipment cost. I am most concerned with film costs and fuji is too much. I do have have a feeling it is a superior product because I am a fan of fuji. Lastly does anyone have experience with the nalcom ftl or the miida ftl?
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

boohoo wrote:For $150 USD i can get 16 rolls of kodachrome, I then develope it in the school lab for free.
?! I thought the Lausanne (Switzerland) lab was the only one to develop Kodachrome...

Giovanni
Santo

Post by Santo »

Have you done a search for Nalcom on this site?

search.php?mode=results&sid=9a207890f5f ... 682a578f91

Some good info I think you're looking for. Nalcom has its own built in core lens, but takes a Pentax screwmount m42, I believe I read somewhere on there. So with a little shopping around, I'm sure you can find some great glass to put on there.

The Mida looks just like the Nalcom, but I've read before it's a fixed lens (though a perfectly decent one, I also remember reading).

It's one of the great mysteries (to me, anyways) why we didn't see more c-mount super 8 cameras manufactured. It's surprising Nizo never manufactured one. Or more so Nikon or Canon -- it could have taken advantage of their SLR or other lenses. Or they could have made some special super 8 friendly ones (small mm) for accessories.

One other camera with an interchangeable lens system is one of the greatest silent S8 cameras ever manufactured, the Leicina Special (not to be confused with the Super which has a fixed Angenieux-sourced lens). The Special (or Spezial) takes Leica SLR lenses in addition to both its standard excellent Schneider zoom and optional Schneider-Leicina joint venture 10mm. Pretty fantastic by all accounts -- especially with the camera's special narrow film gate to ensure film stability. Although I don't own one, so I don't know what this often-mentioned feature entails exactly.

You can often find them going for big premiums on ebay.de. Provided I could get one in excellent working condition, I'd rather have one of these over a Beulieau any day. Though I'm very happy with what I've already got, so I don't have the incentive to spend the money right now.
boohoo

Post by boohoo »

Thank Santo,
Thats the kind of info I was looking for. As for my school and film processing I don't do it, so I am not sure if they contract out or do it in house. However I get my own stuff processes at a couple of places in LA and hollywwod
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Hi there,
I actually have a Nalcom FTL 1000:
http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/super8/nalcom_ftl_1000.htm
The actual lens mount is HUGE compared to a C mount! It has a drive pinnion for the zoom lens and I don't know of anything else other than the special mouting adaptor that will fit directly on the front of this thing.(Though there may well be!) Whith the adaptor, you can fit anything with an M42 thread or fit an M42 to whathaveyou adaptor. Most M42 mount lenses are going to be from 35mm SLR's so will be like telescopes apart from that spare 8mm fisheye you happen to have lurking :wink:
This can be quite handy if you whant ultra telephoto stuff of course. I have had dificulty getting any sort of focus closer than about 20 feet on the longer lenses. Also the possibility of adding macro bellows or extension tubes is fun if you can find enought light!!!
My question is why do you need a de-mountable lens for your shooting?

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff!

Ben
boohoo

Post by boohoo »

no, i don't need a de-mountable lens system. I just recently bought a box of unsold stuff from a closed camera store for cheap. Inside was 6 different 35mm to c-mount adapters and around 30 lenses of differnt focal lengths to fit them. I got excited and thought I could get started for cheap because of this find. However it looks to be more difficult than I thought. So I will just sell them as I had originally planned. Thank for the help