A Good Starter 8mm Film (Suggestion Needed)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

BobClack60

A Good Starter 8mm Film (Suggestion Needed)

Post by BobClack60 »

100% 8mm newbie here.

Am looking for a film to start out with and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.

Criteria:
* B&W
* Outdoor shooting.
* DIY processing is a must.
* Expired film preferred for a retro look.

Looking around Ebay and similar places, there seems to be no shortage of expired Kodachrome and Ektachrome available.

Kodak Tri-X reversal seems to be plentiful as well.

What I'm not seeing is a simple, vanilla b&w film that can be satisfactorily processed using easily obtainable chemistry (or caffenol).

Does this exist?

Thank you in advance.

Bob
chrisgavin

Re: A Good Starter 8mm Film (Suggestion Needed)

Post by chrisgavin »

Hi Bob,

I'm rather assuming you might be asking about Super 8 8mm film (in cartridges), rather than Regular 8 film (in rolls) ... If so, then I've got a great suggestion for you...

This year I discovered Argenti PAN-X BW Negative super 8 film and I LOVE the stuff...

Right now, this is the cheapest super 8 film I can buy. I'm in the UK and I order it online from here...
http://www.18frames.co.uk/product/argenti-pan-x-100

It's black and white, it's 100ASA and it's the same as APX100 stills film.
This means it's GREAT for home processing...
You can use exactly the same chemicals as for BW stills, and it absolutely works with Caffenol processing too. (that's what I tried first with it.)
The processing is way simpler than any reversal processing, the chemicals are less evil and you do it all at 20degC (room temperature).
Obviously this is a negative film, so you will invert the picture in post production; this is not a film for projection.

I've made a couple of short films so far with this stock...
As you can see, you get a very rough and grainy look without a doubt...

'Wall Of Death'
https://vimeo.com/69736803
I shot this on my first cartridge and processed it using Caffenol C-M developer as short lengths in a Patterson (stills) tank.
Digitized with DIY stepper motor device and Canon 600D DSLR camera.

'Cable Car'
https://vimeo.com/76724027
This time I shot about 3 cartridges, and I used my home made spiral tank, to process them. Some of this was Caffenol C-M and some was (long expired) Ilford ID11 developer.
Digitized with DIY stepper motor device and Sumix 150M camera.

I've got more of this in my fridge and I hope to do a lot more with it...
Best of luck to you.
Chris
Films made for you... www.chrisgavin.com
BobClack60

Post by BobClack60 »

Chris,

Of course, thank you for your reply. Funny thing is that I did see your "Wall of Death" film previous and it has been one of the things pushing me in this direction. I thought it was terrific and I very much like how the riders work with the film grain.

Also, I like shooting machinery/vehicles and the Cable Car film also hit just the right notes. I live near a trolley car museum and the internal wheels are already spinning for when they re-open next Spring.

The Argenti PAN-X looks perfect! The look, the processing, just what I've been looking for. I'll be ordering a few this week. I'm looking forward to getting my first steps (and mis-steps) out of the way.

Thanks once again for your reply/help/suggestion from this newbie!

Bob
mudfly9

Post by mudfly9 »

Bob, qs I was reading your post I was formulating a response in my head but then when I read Chris' post, he basically said everything I was about to! It's a great film, I really like it, and as it's a negative it means I can use it to make (small) prints in the darkroom too. Here's one of my early attempts with a Canon 310XL and a basic, camcorder telecine:

https://vimeo.com/77922146
http://www.matthewmodgetfilms.com
BobClack60

Post by BobClack60 »

Matthew,

Also thank you for the reply and for your Vimeo link. Took both yours and Chris' recommendation and ordered a roll of the Argenti Pan-X yesterday (they only had one roll left.).

The journey begins!

Thanks once again!

Bob
chrisgavin

Post by chrisgavin »

Bob,

I've just looked on the 18 frames shop and they've sold out now. I do hope you've not bought the last roll ever ; )
Let's just hope they'll restock soon.

I really hope you enjoy using this film and processing it yourself too. if you're happy to embrace the DIY ethic, then there's nothing quite like feeling you get when your moving pictures are finally revealed. It's really a little bit of magic and an experience I'd recommend to anyone.

Good luck to you and Best Wishes

Chris
Films made for you... www.chrisgavin.com
BobClack60

Post by BobClack60 »

Thanks kindly Chris!