All but getting out of Super 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

All but getting out of Super 8

Post by Scotness »

I've decided I'm going to all but get out of Super 8 - Kodak's apathy toward fixing the cart problem has convinced me of it's uselessness for serious work - so hence I'm giving it away to cocerntrate on 16mm.

I've just put my crystal synched 4008 on eBay -- I'll probably shoot a bit of 64t with a nice Chinon I've got - but I'm going to get rid of everything else over the next few weeks.

It's a shame because I was planning to do another feature late next year on Super 8 - it'll either be video or 16mm now -- hopefully 16 - but it would have suited Super 8 really well - but what can you do - I got really badly burnt by the faulty carts last time and even though Kodak admitted to the problem then they now seem to be denying it - despite being given numerous samples etc.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
carlweston

Post by carlweston »

what about frame master?
Check the DVD's I'm selling at http://www.graffitivideos.com/grafcore2000trailer.htm
Tools
DVX100A, TRV8, TRV315, DCR-HC20, Nizo S80, Beaulieu 4008MZ, Beaulieu 4008MZII, Bauer C107XL, EUMIG 65 XL
I Hope I'm Not Turning Into a Camera Collector.
VideoFred

Re: All but getting out of Super 8

Post by VideoFred »

Scotness wrote:I've decided I'm going to all but get out of Super 8 -
Scot
Single-8, Scot!
Please try :cry:

Fred. :wink:
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

The framemaster improves but doesn't fully get rid of the jitter - and Single 8 as great as it seems is mega expensive

I should point out too as much as there are negative reasons for me to get out of Super 8 there are positive/attracting reasons for me to get into 16mm too -- I can get it processed and telecined locally - plus a bigger image and no jitters -- it will be hard though because you do need more technical/camera support which you don't for Super 8 - which makes SUper 8 easier for one man bands! :-)

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Double Super-8 !!
"Four legs good, two legs bad"
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

But I understand, of cource.
To be honest, if I was a filmmaker, I would go for 16mm, too.
I have some 16mm reels but no projector :cry:
Had the opertunity to buy a wonderful Kodak 16mm projector for 50 Euros... damn! Too late now.

But even a fast look at the frames with a magnifier..... 8)

I also see your Kaketoo is moving, now! :lol:

Fred.
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

Scotnes wrote:
I've decided I'm going to all but get out of Super 8
I'm confused. Doesn't that statement mean you're going to keep using Super8? All BUT get out of Super8 says to me "everything except get out of Super8".
mattias

Post by mattias »

what cart problem? there was one back in 2001 but i've never had a problem before or after that. i think the reason people (roger) see a decrease in image steadiness over the years is that cameras get older. my 814 still takes perfectly steady (for super 8) images. this said image stability is still super 8's biggest problem. there are many projects i would never consider it for because of this, but it's not really a cart problem...

/matt
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

mattias wrote:but it's not really a cart problem...

/matt
Then what is the problem? Because perfs are on one side?
So you have an 814, too?
A 'straight' 814? no X... or something?
I ask this because I have one too, and it looks like this cam has a very fine lens and is very well made.

Fred.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Don't forget Standard Eight (Regular Eight) is still around. The frame image area may be smaller, but you get twice the footage as 16mm, and you can DIY telecine with a cheap projector. Cameras are available that still work, at prices that make them sort of equal to disposables if they break or need fixing.

OT, BTW, I'm thinking of upgrading a large format Russian FKD 18x24cm view camera to 8x10"....

Gianni 8O
mattias

Post by mattias »

VideoFred wrote:
mattias wrote:but it's not really a cart problem...
Then what is the problem?
well i guess it's mainly a cart problem, but not a cart *problem*. there are no loops and no real pressure plate, but that's obviously part of the design. ;-)

/matt
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

mattias wrote: well i guess it's mainly a cart problem, but not a cart *problem*. there are no loops and no real pressure plate, but that's obviously part of the design. ;-)

/matt
With other words: it's a design problem, right?
It's build in in the system, as I mentioned many times before.

A camera with registration pins would solve the problem.
But it must be perfect possible to remove the jitter afterwards with software, too.

Fred.
mattias

Post by mattias »

instability can be removed digitally as long as the film is stationary in the gate during exposure, but in my experience that isn't always the case. sometimes the pressure plate isn't able to completely halt the film movement and sometimes the takup pulls it from the gate. this causes a slight motion blur that can't be removed. sometimes the film even buckles slightly so half the frame can be properly registered while the other is off. as long as you're not using a bad cart from 2001 this should only be noticable as a frame that's "alive" rather than "dead", not as jitter.

/matt
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Well there have been reports both ways about jitter persisiting and of course I don't know what the truth really is - but couple that with Kodak's ambivalence towards the situation and I'm just not prepared to take the risk of using Super 8 for anything serious.

"All but giving up Super 8" means giving away virtually everything I have to do with it, except the last bit - "it's all but given up" - "only one last bit remains" - so I'll be selling or giving away all my gear except for a nice Chinon Pacific 12smr which I'd like to use for time lapse and for giving the 64t a go -- but the editing gear and crystal synched Beaulieu etc can all go

Yes the cocky is alive - if the avatar file size were allowed to be bigger I could get him to do more - alas bandwidth :-(

Scot
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Scotness wrote: Yes the cocky is alive - if the avatar file size were allowed to be bigger I could get him to do more - alas bandwidth :-(
Scot
Ah! So the good English(Australian?) name for this awesome animal is 'cocky'?
These are very smart animals indeed, I like them a lot.
My mother has a grey one, with a red tail. It's a clown!

Then the original of your avatar is a movie? 8mm? 16mm? :wink:

Fred.