k40,supermag,soundstripe,beaulieu 200 ft mag etc

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dave

k40,supermag,soundstripe,beaulieu 200 ft mag etc

Post by dave »

Can anyone answer the following questions with some degree of intelligence?

1. It appears to me that the supermag does not make use of notching as found in the various kodak cartridges. How then does one use the mag for various ASA'S in auto cameras?

2.Where did all the ritter mags dissappear to?

3.Because the inventor of the supermag did not use daylite spools it seems to me that changing film is a pain since it has to be done in the dark. Correct?

4.Are the any Buyers and Users of the supermag who are willing to discuss their results?

5.Who can address costs of any emulsion per foot including
processing,striping.shippng.and stock ?

I'm sorry , but unless we get real and know or get the answers to the above we are all pissing in the wind!!!!!!! :
:( 8O :cry: :roll: :?:
supermag400_inventor

Post by supermag400_inventor »

First of all, the Supermag is notched to accomodate the K-40 cartridge fit. The notch cut is just to diengage the 85 filter. The cameras which can take a magazine do not use notches. I've not seen it in the Elmo or the Beaulieu cameras. The others I'm sure of since I don't own any. But, if you need to cut a notch for your camera, just use an xacto knife or a file. It's very simple.

The Ritter mags are no more, they stopped making them. Only a few hundred are around in the world. They didn't have adjustable notches either. Just one for K-40. I know, I had one for testing.

The Supermag has a Daylight loading disk, that is very very easy to use. It is re-useable and light weight. The Wittner disks are a joke. They are not light proof. They are just a reel that has not any holes in it. Hardly light proof. The Supermag Daylight Disks are light proof. The film comes out a slot in the bottom of it, which is backed up by two rollers and a light dam.

The Ritter mag could only be used in a Beaulieu that was modified for it. The Supermag can fit the cameras without any modifications. Pop it in and start shooting. Silent or Sound film.

Sound film can still be purchased by sending the film to Fipra in Germany to have the film sound stripped. It isn't cheep. But it can be done.

Any questions, contact me. I'll answer them.
christoph

Post by christoph »

supermag400_inventor wrote:First of all, the Supermag is notched to accomodate the K-40 cartridge fit. The notch cut is just to diengage the 85 filter. The cameras which can take a magazine do not use notches.
hmm, i dont know about all cameras you list on your website but i can tell you for sure that the nizo 6056 *does* use notches for auto exposure. notching it for K40 is a bit unfortunate since it basically makes auto exposure useless on those cameras without manual ASA setting.
if a variable notch is too difficult to design, i'd have opted for something like 200ASA since that's easier to get a usuable reading and adjust aperture manually.
Any questions, contact me. I'll answer them.
well, there is still question 4 and 5 or the above post, which i would be interested most in as well ;)
++ christoph ++
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

the elmos 1012 sxl n 612 sxl accepting mags does only 40 & 160 as far as i know. if ur supermag is notched for 40 and your pro8 testfilm was 100 and shot with the cams listed above it would turn out a bit offfset unless you shot in all manual mode using the elmos.

t
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
supermag400_inventor

Honestly, to make a small change to the design and add in a sliding metal notch plate would not be very hard. It's just a matter of knowing the positions of the notches and what they do. I could make the modification in a matter of days.

Does anyone have the notches plotted out?
chachi

Post by chachi »

Does anyone have the notches plotted out?

Uh oh, your asking for the opening of a can of worms.. :D
monobath

Post by monobath »

reedsturtevant made a ruler for notch measurements in this NEW Cartridge notch ruler thread. There has been some disagreement about certain notch lengths based on empirical testing versus published standards.
dave

k40..........

Post by dave »

:cry:
Supermag Inventor: If one shoots different asa's , say 160 and 40 under changing lighting conditions, indoor or out, the use of auto iris is a must for live events where you can't keep changing your iris and maintain continuity in your shots for proper exposure besides all the other tasks you have do. Hence a variable notching mechanism is a must or a differently notched mag will be needed for each asa. Cutting a larger notch will not allow you to shoot the original asa stock requiring a smaller notch opening since you have destroyed the material .It's not simple, unless a variable notching mechanism
is built into the mag

If the few hundred ritter mags really exist what the hell are filmmakers doing with them. Even though Wittner has filmstock available (?) and the ritter mag only fits the modified Beaulieu you would think they would be dumping them on EBAY .Something does not add up !

I'm happy to hear that you can load the super mag in daylight and you dont need a darkroom

Users of the super mag WHERE ARE YOU?

Chachi : A can of worms is better than a film that looks like a can of worms

PS : Again. what does it cost me a-z to expose a foot of film ? HELP!
supermag400_inventor

I have never seen a camera with this "pin" set up in the housing. What does it look like? How does the notch offset the pin? I'm not sure how it works. Perhaps someone has a photo of the pin?
supermag400_inventor

Hey! .... Guess what? I got the information on from Martin Baulmgarden's site about film notches. I understand it now. And I've solved the problem in just a few minutes. I've came up with the solution by making an insert piece in the lid of the Supermag module door that adjusts for the size of the notch. It's so dam simple, but effective. Problem solved!

It sometimes pays to listen to you guys. Another inovation for the mag has just been accomplished. It will now register for films up to 400 ASA.

How about that?
chachi

Post by chachi »

grr, double post w/no delete grrr!
Last edited by chachi on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
chachi

Post by chachi »

Chachi : A can of worms is better than a film that looks like a can of worms
hey! .... Guess what? I got the information on from Martin Baulmgarden's site about film notches.
hehe, this is exactly what i'm refering to. people dispute martins findings and it seems this whole subject is a can of worms. NOt that we shouldn't open it, just that its a can of worms. You need to be prepared to collect all the worms and put them in the can again is all..

example:

viewtopic.php?t=9833&highlight=chachi+notches
supermag400_inventor

I just now complete the modification. It works perfectly with the design. It's so simple it is funny. I made a slight modification to the lid of the module. It now has a slot that has a small plastic insert that slides into the slot. The insert creates the notch. It works great. I can't wait to test it out in a camera with the correct mechanisim.

I'm going to get a camera to work with and test it out. The thing is, Martin is correct in his findings. I believe his are right on. From what I've found out about the measurements, he's correct.

However, the registration hole has no bearing what so ever for those with the Elmo or Beaulieu cameras, since they have no such pin. They are all manual operation for the settings. That's it then.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Isn't there a SMPTE spec for the notches? might be further help.

John Pytlak always refers to it.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

The addition of a manually adjustable ASA slot on the Supermag definately increases its value and utility. Dang, I wish I hadn't sold my Elmo 612XL last year, looks like I'll have to buy it back.