?: S8, S16, & HDTV

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nick

?: S8, S16, & HDTV

Post by Nick »

If I wanted to shoot film/video for the HDTV format, what would be the best origination medium? HDTV cameras? Super 16mm, regular 16, Mini-DV?, Super 8mm?

I am guessing the best investment would be a Super 16mm camera but what do you all think? Has anyone seen S8MM on HDTV?

Cheers,
Nick
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

35mm then S16 followed by HD Video.....

However, it all depends on the look and feel that you want to get. If you want to get the feel of S8 nothing else will give that to you. If you want the slick high gloss look then you will have to go for 35 or S16.

Choose your weapon based on the kill.

Good Luck
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello,
Has anyone seen S8MM on HDTV
I saw Vision 200T through 2k scanning in Spirit scanner and down-converted to HD for monitoring. It was beautiful.

However... HDTV have 1:1.78 aspect ratio so if you want to maximize your source material, it would be much better to use super 16mm or 35mm (in 3 perf.).
Regards,

Daniel
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Nigel wrote: Later we abandoned [it] because we realized that we had confused the issue; we had thought that it was a question of millimeters. Nestor Almendros
Hey, I thought I was the only fan of the late Nestor! I love his work. What a great cinematographer. Mucho "less is more".

Did you ever read his book? I got one of the early versions that he personally copied off from type written sheets before it ever went to print. It was a gift from a friend. I lost it in the great flood of Hurricane Alison a couple of years ago. Made me very sad..... :(
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

"A man with a camera", by Nestor Almendros.
The best book about cinematography I've ever read.
I totally agree with you, Roger.

Giovanni
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

No.....I haven't--It has been on my list but it has never gottne to the top. I will bump it to the top now. I have only read interviews with him. Quite a few of them over the years but not one big dose.

One Cool Cat that is for sure.

Good Luck
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Nigel, now those are words to live by.

"Choose your weapon based on the kill".

Cheers,
Nick