TFT Viewfinder???

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

synthnut

TFT Viewfinder???

Post by synthnut »

Hi all,
Just browsing through my copy of Practical Photography this month and noticed a little gadget called the Zigview Digital Angle finder...
Now this little device clips onto the viewfinder of an SLR and gives you an adjustable TFT screen as a display, but there's more too!
It has seriously comprehensive motion detection and interval timing facilities that can fire your camera. Now I know it's designed for stills, but it looks like it might be a really handy little gizmo if it would hook up to any old viewfinder!!!
I'm too skint to buy one to try just now, but the mad thing is that they are only £110 each :D
See what you make of the thing: http://www.zigview.co.uk
And no, I've not got any links with this company!
Now, if you could remote the screen, then we would really be talking!

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff!
Ben
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Hi folks,

Now I know this didn't excite many people last time, which is odd as there are lots of questions about video assist, but check out the NEW VERSION:
http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview6.htm
Actually better to look here:
http://www.climaxdigital.com/zigview/zigview_s2.html
This thing is a ready made video tap for £250.00. OK, not cheap cheap, but if it works it has some seriously cool functionality.
Now, the thing is what type of viewfinder does each specific Super 8 camera have???
The UK importer's site makes no mention of the tree types as far as I know, but the other site metion tree: A B and C type.
Any ideas on which is closest to a Nizo or Beaulieu?!

I want one.....!

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff!

Ben
johnnhud

Post by johnnhud »

I think that this is a really cool idea. The only thing that holds me back is the cost. Being that I have not paid over $50 for any of my S8 cameras, it's hard to justify. Also I also have to wonder if you could not get simular results using a pen camera.

I have to say, it looks really cool, but I dont have an extra $250.
Rachel Oliver

Post by Rachel Oliver »

Hi;

Funnily enough I searched this thread out recently because I couldn't remember the name of the product so I at least was excited! I've seen quite a few on ebay for decent prices.

Olly
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Hia,
Sorry been away from PC land for a bit.
This thing is WAY more than just a video tap. You can't really compare it to strapping a pen-cam to the viewfinder as it has motion sensing in nine zones for triggered shots, programmable timelapse, B settindg and more!
I too hate paying much for cameras but having shelled out rather a lot on Beaulieu 6008S it seems quite reasonable a cost to allow me to use the camera on a crane, car rig or steadycam!
I shoot lots of timelapse stuff anyhow so the flexibility just for this is temptation in itself... now to persuude the wife that chistmas is comming and she really would like to buy one....
(and no, I'm not anything to do with the suppliers of this gizmo ;-) )

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff....

Ben
avr

Post by avr »

A great tool. With self adapters can work on all super 8 - 16 cameras.
Thanks for the info.