Do you want to load our Al Dente (Super 8) short film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

reflex

Post by reflex »

OK, I'm holding out for the 15 second version. :)

One thought about the aspect ratio: By letterboxing the frame down to what looks like Cinemascope, you're decreasing the image quality.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
mathis

Post by mathis »

reflex wrote: One thought about the aspect ratio: By letterboxing the frame down to what looks like Cinemascope, you're decreasing the image quality.
Actually I think this radical letterboxing is one of the reasons why we *percieve* the image quality as that good. Can't explain it though, just a notion.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

reflex wrote:One thought about the aspect ratio: By letterboxing the frame down to what looks like Cinemascope, you're decreasing the image quality.
What?

I thought he just made the image a bit more "narrow", like more letterboxed. Like in leaving the image exactly the same as the original image, just with black bars up and down.

Please explain how that decreases the image quality?
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

jukkasil wrote:Thank you all for nice comments.

We decided to recut the movie according to all comments we received, now the movie isn't so slow and long at all.

You all can download it from this link:

http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/al_dente_public_cut.wmv

:wink:
Humorous cut ! :D
reflex

Post by reflex »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Please explain how that decreases the image quality?
It looks like the top and bottom thirds of the image have been cropped, so the image is being captured on only 33% of the already tiny S8 frame.

It might have been better to crop 16:9 (although not so evocative of the classic Techniscope look).
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
avortex

Post by avortex »

Or shooting with a 2X anamorphic lens, retaining all of the entire frame.

Anyway, the short looks gorgeous and has the feeling of a more budgeted movie. I'm downloading the new version now, so I'm not going to write about the editing as I intended. Let's watch the new cut...

Jukka, excellent work!!
Marc
Uppsala BildTeknik

Hmmm, but it sounded as if it would decrease the image quality compared to a "normal" super8 image.

A normal super8 image is what we are looking at, we are just not seeing the top and bottom of the frame. ;)
jukkasil

Post by jukkasil »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:
reflex wrote:One thought about the aspect ratio: By letterboxing the frame down to what looks like Cinemascope, you're decreasing the image quality.
What?

I thought he just made the image a bit more "narrow", like more letterboxed. Like in leaving the image exactly the same as the original image, just with black bars up and down.
Indeed, we did like that way, of course resolution is smaller (the real movie is in smaller part of image area, cause balck bars take part of image).

But hey, all italo westerns have been shot with that aspect ratio and we didn't want to use Am-lenses (too difficult to handle and get same results), so simple decided to use crop-metod, cause final product is anyway sd video in DVD-format. We just concentrated more to story etc. than just used long time to fight all kind of technical issues (I own two AM-lenses and had tested them in real life couple times). Anyway it was also budget-thing, we didn't want to use much more money to buy better AM-lense and to get more light equipments (with AM-lense you need more light too).
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa
jukkasil

Post by jukkasil »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:A normal super8 image is what we are looking at, we are just not seeing the top and bottom of the frame. ;)
Exactly.

That public-cut is just joke we made.
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa
Uppsala BildTeknik

jukkasil wrote:Indeed, we did like that way, of course resolution is smaller (the real movie is in smaller part of image area, cause balck bars take part of image).
Well the total resolution as in how many pixels are used for the whole image is lower, but the DPI is the same as it would be for a normal super8 image. ;)

I looked at the public cut. Hehe, fun. :D
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

It's a great film indeed. The camerawork is astounding for super8. I really like the focuspull shots. I do, however, miss the wide angel shots that shooting anamorph would give you. Some the setups and shots look very flat to me.

But that is maybe the only point where I feel that you could have done better.

I am not shure if it's me or the foley sounds are really a bit out of synch. I liked it anyway, and think that the sound work was very good.

You could have had better weather also. Some shots look very cloudy and could, but that is northern weather.

Great and funny story. Put back the spaghetti into western. Brilliant.

michael
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

I'm impressed.

Love the ideas of those ants... :o
love the ending... :lol:
love the expression of the "Bad"... :P
love a lot of angle you shoot... 8O
love the music... probably u could be called as Jukka Morricon... :wink:
love the treatment of start & end (The hard graphic with texts)... :)
love the story... :D

Dislike: the blanket you wearing... not manly enough. :roll:
Dislike: you are making it so cool and making me jealous...hehehe :twisted:

cool man.. great job!!! :lol: