Wallmart and E64T

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

scott

Trick Wal Mart

Post by scott »

Maybe label the envelope "Process K14" and send it through. Then Dwayne's gets it, sees that it is E64T, and processes it E6.

Worth a shot....

Scott
Independent Filmmaker
http://www.lytewave.com/
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"the fact that 64T will cost twice as much will mean volume is lower. "

How will it cost twice as much? K40 from Kodak was around $15, right? 64T is... $16-17? I get a 30% student discount now, so the cost increase for the film itself is not huge. Processing would be the same if Dwayne's handled it via Wal-Mart - oh yeah, the E6 process was supposed to mean a variety of labs, competition for market share, and cheaper prices :roll:
marc

Post by marc »

Angus wrote:There will also be the effect of the fact that it is less convenient to use...and doesn't even work in most super 8 cameras under auto exposure.
Well, I don't know what that feels like because all of my cameras will expose the 64T:Canon 1014E, Gaf ST/1002, Rollei movie 6, Gaf ST/105 and Gaf 102xl. And as much as people complain about certain cameras not exposing the 64T correctly, there are plenty of cameras available out there that do. So go get one! And since the coscientious filmmaker knows how to use the manual mode and should be using it, is it really that big of a deal?
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
Angus

Post by Angus »

Evan Kubota wrote:"the fact that 64T will cost twice as much will mean volume is lower. "

How will it cost twice as much?
Maybe you guys in the USA will turn out to be the lucky ones.

Everywhere else 64T is being sold, per cartridge for a little more than K40 was....but K40 included processing and 64T does not!

Best deal in the UK currently is from the Widescren Centre at £18.95 (close on $35) per roll including processing...whereas one could get K40 for £10.50 processing included.

This will be the situation across Europe, and it seems our Australian friends aren't even sure that 64T will be available there!

Anyone who thinks 64T will sell the same numbers K40 did is, frankly, deluding themselves.

And as for the person who said "Oh, cam doesn't expose 64T correctly...go get one that does!"...I say "Oh, cam doesn't work with 16mm film or DV tape...go get one that does!"...as such advise is just as useful to those with a non-64T camera who have no interest in purchasing another.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
marc

Post by marc »

[quote="Angus
And as for the person who said "Oh, cam doesn't expose 64T correctly...go get one that does!"...I say "Oh, cam doesn't work with 16mm film or DV tape...go get one that does!"...as such advise is just as useful to those with a non-64T camera who have no interest in purchasing another.[/quote]

What, are we homeless filmmakers? If a person can't affort to buy a camera off of E bay then maybe Filmmaking, Super 8 or otherwise, isn't for them!
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Still, double the price and new cameras *is* a difference.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Angus

Post by Angus »

It is especially a difference for those who already had a camera suited to K40, perhaps from new...such people won't feel inclined to purchase a "new" camera.

In addition, it strikes me that the cameras capable of exposing 64T will attract a premium on eBay compared to those that cannot.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

I refuse to understand why you people would risk getting your film lost just to save a few dollars.
SHOOT FILM!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"And as for the person who said "Oh, cam doesn't expose 64T correctly...go get one that does!"...I say "Oh, cam doesn't work with 16mm film or DV tape...go get one that does!"...as such advise is just as useful to those with a non-64T camera who have no interest in purchasing another."

I have to agree with marc - there are many, many cameras that read the stock correctly. If someone insists on using an auto-only camera that can't read it properly, there are other issues involved.

"I refuse to understand why you people would risk getting your film lost just to save a few dollars."

Because it has to be processed. Not everyone walks to the lab and delivers it by hand... sending it through Wal-Mart is arguably safer than entrusting it to the postal service or (blech) UPS.

"Still, double the price and new cameras *is* a difference."

Maybe for you guys in Europe - our K40 was never processing included, and for me a single cart came out to be roughly $19 processed. If Wal-Mart accepted 64T, that cost shouldn't rise by more than a dollar. Of course, K40 had a quantity discount ($10.50 for 5 or more). Not sure if Kodak does this with 64T, and if not, I can't think of a valid excuse.
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

"sending it through Wal-Mart is arguably safer than entrusting it to the postal service or (blech) UPS"

How can that be true? Your film is being sent out and then sent back to you again without being processed. Then you send it out again, either through Walmart or via USPS. How is this arguably better than sending it directly to a lab?
SHOOT FILM!
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Evan Kubota wrote:... sending it through Wal-Mart is arguably safer than entrusting it to the postal service or (blech) UPS.
Why? How do you think Wal-Mart gets it to Dwayne's?
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Evan Kubota wrote:"Still, double the price and new cameras *is* a difference."

Maybe for you guys in Europe - our K40 was never processing included, and for me a single cart came out to be roughly $19 processed. If Wal-Mart accepted 64T, that cost shouldn't rise by more than a dollar. Of course, K40 had a quantity discount ($10.50 for 5 or more). Not sure if Kodak does this with 64T, and if not, I can't think of a valid excuse.
So what? The biggest market for S8 is outside of the United States.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"Why? How do you think Wal-Mart gets it to Dwayne's?"

Freight trucks. I highly doubt they send it through the regular mail - Wal-Mart has a massive infrastructure that I'm sure you know they will take advantage of.

"So what? The biggest market for S8 is outside of the United States."

Well... considering I'm in the US... I understand that since you're in Europe the difference is greater. From my perspective, it really isn't (other than the quantity discount - is it still present?)

"How can that be true? Your film is being sent out and then sent back to you again without being processed. Then you send it out again, either through Walmart or via USPS. How is this arguably better than sending it directly to a lab?"

Come on, you know what I mean. Sending film that would actually come back processed (go back to the K40 days).
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

"Why? How do you think Wal-Mart gets it to Dwayne's?"

Freight trucks. I highly doubt they send it through the regular mail - Wal-Mart has a massive infrastructure that I'm sure you know they will take advantage of.

You actually think that a Wal-Mart tractor trailer pulls up at Dwayne's to drop off a few super8 carts? Seriously?
SHOOT FILM!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"You actually think that a Wal-Mart tractor trailer pulls up at Dwayne's to drop off a few super8 carts? Seriously?"

Technically, it's probably Qualex. They outlab other stuff to Dwayne's also, AFAIK, not just super 8. Do you actually think they send them in little packages by mail? Seriously?