Is eBay down???

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

chachi

Is eBay down???

Post by chachi »

Is anyone else having problems accessing eBay right now? specifically the cameras section???
downix

Post by downix »

Yup. I was just checking on a bid I have on a Maurer 16mm cam that's on there. Yeah, I know it's old, but beggars can't be choosers ya know.
chachi

Post by chachi »

I just went to refresh on that nikon R10 I posted earlier in the week, and now I can't even bid :cry:
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Same here! I wonder what eBay's policy is in terms of compensating sellers and buyers for auctions that are inaccessible during an outage.

I was probably watching the same R10 - I bought one earlier, but this one was at $142.50 with 50 minutes left. I wonder if anyone was able to submit a bid, and if the seller is obligated to sell it at that price? Probably not.
reflex

Post by reflex »

I had problems with eBay pages timing out last night -- I wonder if they're having server problems or are suffering from a denial of service attack? Strange for such a big site.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
downix

Post by downix »

Well shoot, I should have put in that bid for that Mitchell which is at $1. 8) But, if it stays down, then I might actually win the maurer. 8)
soundboy

Post by soundboy »

reflex wrote:I had problems with eBay pages timing out last night -- I wonder if they're having server problems or are suffering from a denial of service attack? Strange for such a big site.

says it all really Image
It's not the size that counts, its what u do with it!
monobath

Post by monobath »

I don't really know what type of IBM servers or operating systems ebay uses, but I can tell you for a fact that both IBMs z/OS and AIX operating systems as wells as the z990 series, P5 series, and RS/6000 SP servers are among the most fault tolerant and stable platforms in the industry. There's nothing wrong with being powered by IBM.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"I just went to refresh on that nikon R10 I posted earlier in the week, and now I can't even bid"

Damn! It ended at $142.50 because no one was able to bid in the last several minutes... is the seller obligated to sell at that price? I'm really pissed - I paid a lot more for mine.
monobath

Post by monobath »

monobath wrote:I don't really know what type of IBM servers or operating systems ebay uses, but I can tell you for a fact that both IBMs z/OS and AIX operating systems as wells as the z990 series, P5 series, and RS/6000 SP servers are among the most fault tolerant and stable platforms in the industry. There's nothing wrong with being powered by IBM.

OK, I found it. Here's a description of the IBM technology that drives ebay.
chachi

Post by chachi »

Evan, I'm pissed to! I was gonna bid on that one as well :cry:

anyhow, thats one more point for the buyers!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 71007&rd=1
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Like I said, I already bought my R10, but I paid a LOT more...
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

eBay is not perfect in the UK at 08:00 BST. A world wide problem :?
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I poked around the eBay forums and the outage was possibly caused by hail and a storm in the Bay Area, where their main server farm is located. Until a few minutes ago, many of the functions were still offline - it looks like most of the functionality is back now.

Their policy on outages is that if a hard outage exceeds 2 hours, the auctions affected are automatically extended for 24 hours. Seems like this one was possibly less, since the Nikon auction ended. Ridiculous that some lucky guy gets it so cheap - basically rewarding him for being so naive as to bid several hours early.