K40 home process at B&W was sucessful!!!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Chris-B

K40 home process at B&W was sucessful!!!

Post by Chris-B »

Hi,
I don't know if you read my other post but I have now successfully processed K40 as black and white negative.

I over exposed the film by two stops, which means the film is rated at about 10asa (I think?). This means you have to film in direct bright sunlight, over cast is a little too dark and the film will have a bit more grain. But you will still get results if you rate the film at it's normal asa.

As before I just used a normal 35mm stills tank designed to take 4 35mm stills films and used 1lt of each.

Developer - Ilford ID 11 for -5mins
Stop for -2mins
Fix -Ilford Rapid Fix for -4misn

The film comes out yellow/orange but looks fine once you put it in Negative and Black & White after telecine. I use Adobe Premier to do this.

I going to try out some bleach as part of the process to see if I can get rid of the orange colour backing.

I'll keep you posted,
Chris.

PS the new board looks great I'll try and get some pictures of my home developed S8 on.
Roy Brown

Post by Roy Brown »

So how was the overall quality? Is it worth the effort. How would you compare to Plus X?
Roy
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Hi Roy,
I have never used Plus-X, but the result from K40 as B&W look a lot less grainy than Tri-X which I have used in the past. So I don't know which will give the best results K40 as B&W or Plus-X.
I did this cross processing as the only roll of Tri-X I had jammed after about 2ft. I had already bought all the chemicals and wanted to get started on trying out home processing. I had about 5rolls of K40 hanging around so I tried the B&W chemicals on that. It was a lot easier than I though it would be to process!!!
Anyway I have pictures I can send to you, send me your email address and I will send them over to you.
Chris.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Hi Chris,
Maybe you could drop me a copy of the pictures too and write a small tutorial that I can publish here under "THE LAB"? Would be great and I know there are others who are more than interested in reading about this.

Take care,
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Sure thing Andreas.
I'll get working on it this week.
camera_wizard

Post by camera_wizard »

Does the film come out as a negitive image, or a positive image? I have these chemicals and would like to do this.
camera_wizard

Post by camera_wizard »

Oops! I have now read the post a litlle closer. It's a negative.Does anyone know where I can get a super-8 printer? I would love to print a negative and process as a negative (equels a posetive). I do not have Adobe Premeir.