NEWBIE help please.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

optic_85

NEWBIE help please.

Post by optic_85 »

Ok, let me first say that i am 19 and have always loved film. Im a movie buff, and i would like to pursue film as a career. However, growing up in the age of video tapes and digital i have no experience with ACTUAL film. I have made a few shorts, but only on hi-8 video tape. I have thought about it quite a bit, but dismissed the idea(until recently). Currently i work at a salvation army, and someone donated a 8mm editor. I purchased it and have decided it is something i want to explore. The problem is i still need to buy a camera(i have a projector, but im am not sure if it works), and i have reletively no clue what im doing. So what im saying is i need your help, i know uneducted posts such as this are annoying, but indulge me....

-what are the main advatages to shooting in 8mm?

-For a beginner is there a particularly good camera i should get? what features should i look for?

-Does the film record sound?

-where can i get film?

-how long is a roll of film?(minutes?)

-ANY other tips or info would be nice?
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

It's simple a lot of questions can be answered at this post:
viewtopic.php?t=8155

And some others are all around here. There is film cameras that have microphones and and special film that has sound but the film is very rare, I don't know too much about it, someone else will. Personally I put my super-8 onto mini-dv tapes and edit them using the computer and add it all in then. Super-8mm film comes in cartridges of 50ft (15m)... about 3 minutes and 20 seconds running at 18fps. This doesn't seem long but it really can be depending on what you're filming. I don't really know what you should look for or wheres the best place to get film but that would make a great topic anyways to debate wheres the best. If you know a little about photography and like to do things manually or you like everything easy and automatic thats something to think about also. Good luck.
super8man

Post by super8man »

have a look at my site...see below!

Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
mohican

Post by mohican »

Check out good-will stores, pawn shops, "For-Sale" publications in your area, garage sales, telephone radio "swap shops", even e-bay for S8 cameras. Don't go off the deep end; keep your cash outlay modest. Check out Super8Man's site. Good info there. Once you touch a reel of processed film, you will never be the same again...even if the results are a bit less than what you dreamed of. Good luck. :)
Make those little films if only for yourself
flyingsquirrelsnake

Post by flyingsquirrelsnake »

I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but I wouldn't even know what super8 film was if it wasn't for my job at Goodwill. That's where I got my first cheap camera (Bell & Howell 1225 with half a roll of old k40 sound film still in it!) I still get that kind of thing donated and absolutely love my job for it!
As for your question, Optic_85, if you want to record sound nowdays, the only practical method is double-system. The only roll of sound film I've shot was the one that came in my camera, and, since it was at least as old as I am (17), the k40 had a heavy magenta tinge to it. Any properly stored sound film usually goes for... well, ALOT on eBay. Too much money for anything that could be instead used to buy a nice camera.
:wink:
For the love of it all...
optic_85

Post by optic_85 »

WOW! you guys are a big help, i googled super 8mm before i came here, and i found some great sites, but most of them were too specific. I needed an "idiots guide" sort-of-thing. So thanks again for educating me
Personally I put my super-8 onto mini-dv tapes and edit them using the computer and add it all in then
Will you please explain this process?
I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but I wouldn't even know what super8 film was if it wasn't for my job at Goodwill. That's where I got my first cheap camera (Bell & Howell 1225 with half a roll of old k40 sound film still in it!) I still get that kind of thing donated and absolutely love my job for it!
I totally agree, working at thrift stores is pretty cool sometimes. I used to work at goodwill, and now currently work at salvation army. I find all kinds of neat stuff....
"Technology is a way of orginizing the universe so that man doesnt have to experience it" - Max Frisch
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Theres a lot of different ways of putting the film onto video (called telecine) and you could get it done proffessionally or other methods that are on super 8 man's site or on the link right above on this page (below the shooting 8mm banner and between sound and projecting).