grainless film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

PITIRRE

grainless film

Post by PITIRRE »

Hi everyone:

What is the grainless film in super 8.

Happy Holidays
"WE HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT WE WANT TO BE YANKEES OR PUERTO RICAN"

PEDRO ALBIZU CAMPOS
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

I wouldn't say ther's any grainless Super 8 film - but the least grainy would have to be K40 when shot correctly - especially outdoors in lots of sunlight.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
downix

Post by downix »

Grainless film would be blank. The grains are what make up the image, much like pixels make up the image on video.
scottbobo2

Post by scottbobo2 »

Please dont fall into the" grain is bad" catagory. K-40 has always been practically grainless when I have shot it,clear ,crisp beautiful pictures.But remember if you dont know how to shoot K-40 she will ruin all your footage.Love her but you better treat her right or you'll be sorrrrrrrrry!
PITIRRE

Post by PITIRRE »

Thank's to all of you for the advice, Merry Chritsmas
"WE HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT WE WANT TO BE YANKEES OR PUERTO RICAN"

PEDRO ALBIZU CAMPOS
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Well, the one Super8 film with the smallest grain of them all, (if it wasn´t the K25,) might have been Kodachrome II. I have a roll of the stuff at my place which is just unbelievable. A big difference compared to our present K40. IMHO of course.
BonnutFilmStudio

Post by BonnutFilmStudio »

I'd like to see an image of Kodachrome II. I've always wondered what the quality was like. I may have some in my basement, I've got loads of home movies from 1948 to 1983, I just never have gotten through all of them.
thebrowniecameraguy

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

KII datewise would be about 1960-1975, Super 8 was realesed on Kodachrome II. The images are much much brighter inside and outside than K40 I think.

Cheers,
Jordan
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

KII process was even worse than K-40.. Film is like food, the better it tastes, the more unhealthy it is :P

I think KII was processed with agent orange and mercury.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

I actually think grain is good - for the right project etc the texture can add heaps and be truly beautiful

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
BigBeaner

K-II

Post by BigBeaner »

Jeez I just got K-II off of ebay deal, that means I can still have it processed though even though its from the 70's and I have no idea how it was really stored....
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Hmm... I believe the KII can only be processed as BW neg film these days:

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/ServicesPage10.html
Old Kodachrome II Films (KA 464, KA 459, KII, and similar)
that required the old Process K-12:

Kodak's agreement with the EPA was that they would discontinue offering processing and chemistry availability within 10 years after they upgraded the process from Process K-12 (discontinued) to Process K-14 (current) in late 1973/74. There hasn't been any Color processing for these old films for over 20 years.

-- HOWEVER, these films can be processed to a Black & White NEGATIVE only. This is expensive, and most of the time the quality is terrible, but in about 50% of the time there are images for Super 8mm films. DOUBLE 8mm films often have more fogging damage mainly since the films are on spools and it is exagerated fogging from the time of use, from people handling the film over the years, or from film sitting in a camera that has been played with and opened from time to time over the many years. DOUBLE 8mm films have about a 25% to 50% chance of anything coming out on the films. ONLY consider having old films processed that were filmed years ago to try and preserve precious family memories. DO NOT bother using old Kodachrome II films, since it just isn't worth the bother and cost, considering the poor results.

--- Films processed as a BLACK & WHITE Negative can be electronically reversed back to a viewable positive image upon transfer to videotape. There are only two labs in the U.S.A. that offer processing for these old films: Plattsburgh Photographic Services and Rocky Mountain Film Laboratory......
R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

I bow to you, seriously thanks.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

An unused KII cart/package is still a great collectors piece.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

I think Vision2 100T and EXR 50D from Pro 8 probably have finer grain than K40. Of course if you're going to project it, you'll pick up grain on the print which will negate the advantage v.v. K40.