Super8, the tool needs knowledge

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lucas2

Super8, the tool needs knowledge

Post by Lucas2 »

Getting onto a more serious subject, I have noticed the decline in knowledge regarding the super8 format, and I have to say 16mm to. I find that todays youth seem only to eager to just shoot film without wanting to know the technicalites behind actuall FILM MAKING. I dont care how much film a person shoots if they have no clue about what they are doing.....or how they got the images, then personally it should be chucked in the bin! And Loop films......please stop making them, its so yesterday.
Astro

Loops

Post by Astro »

What's the deal with Loop films. It's economical and you can make a series of ideas on one roll. It's a good method for Artists or Students
Astro :wink:
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

There certainly is a lack of knowledge without a doubt. I for one can't say I know too much about emulssions and techy specs of super 8 or any film but I do know some things that newbies aught to pay attention to.
Of course we all have to start somewhere and as the only film user in my area I'm self-taught. There has been a lot of experimentation along the way without which there are many things that just couldn't be done.
No film should ever be binned for what may be seen as sh-te today could be great art tomorrow.
In the last month Film-Thurso gained it's first newcomer to super 8 but like too many he may well head down the telecine road. It's a shame there aren't enough of us showing reel film.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Telecine is fine by me. It gives me the opportunity to preserve the original film in a newer, cleaner state then if I am viewing, editing, and projecting it.
kentbulza

Re: Super8, the tool needs knowledge

Post by kentbulza »

Lucas2 wrote:And Loop films......please stop making them, its so yesterday.
Uh oh. I'm yesterday. But isn't it better for me to film yesterday than tape it?
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Hey don't get me wrong, telecine is fine by me. I merely lament that few people seem to want to show actual film which can of course be optically copied after or during editing to preserve the presious camera original.