Michael Moore

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Astro

Michael Moore

Post by Astro »

It's off topic....But Michael Moore Farenheit 9/11 was asking for Documentry Makers to turn the cameras on Tony Blair......and I ask...with What Money...
I like Moores films but his position is kinder unique and has taken a long time.
Whose got the money to blow on a Documentry about a boring Bxxxxxd like Tony Blair. With less Indie Cinemas in UK who'd screen it....and then there's the problem that some people around the world don't even know who he is.
Try getting a camera into the Arms fair, you might even get arrested under the terrorism laws.
Basically who ever takes up the challenge has got to be loaded Weinstein style with cash and connections.
:roll: Astro
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

No need to waste film-most people whomay be interested already know what a grinning ninny the bloke is. :twisted:
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

if one did it moore style, just record a bunch of news off the tv, buy rights for b roll footage and paste some bad commentary. you dont have to shoot one thing!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Did you ever see the footage of Bushes limo being pelted by protestors angry with the way the election was "decided". Give the guy some credit.
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

camera8mm wrote:if one did it moore style, just record a bunch of news off the tv, buy rights for b roll footage and paste some bad commentary. you dont have to shoot one thing!
You also don't have to worry about being factual, apparently.

And, It might help to be morbidly obese.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Billbot wrote:
camera8mm wrote:if one did it moore style, just record a bunch of news off the tv, buy rights for b roll footage and paste some bad commentary. you dont have to shoot one thing!
You also don't have to worry about being factual, apparently.

And, It might help to be morbidly obese.
I don't seem to recall that Bush was obese. Thick headed perhaps, but not obese.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I think he's talking about Moore being rather on the rotund side...what that has to do with his views or credibility is totally beyond me. Seems to me that pointing out a fat person's girth is somehow being used to discredit them.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I was being sardonic in a sarcastic kind of way. As if Bush was honest in the way he "decided" to invade Iraq.
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Old Uncle Barry wrote:a grinning ninny
Well if you were going to waste the film, make sure you take a spot reading off his teeth first....
what what
Angus

Post by Angus »

Taqi wrote:
Well if you were going to waste the film, make sure you take a spot reading off his teeth first....
You'll need a damned big zoom lens...they won't let you near the bloke.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Taqi wrote:
I think that is definitely a good idea.

The only thing is that if you expose for his teeth the rest of the picture will be totally underexposed showing little detail at all - definitly a case for the negative stocks to handle the extreme contrast.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

It would be like the cheshire cat..... everything (including the government) disappears, and all we are left is Teflon Tony's silly grin.
what what
mattias

Post by mattias »

just? did you realize how you just lowered your credibility on this and all other filmmaking boards forever? have you actually made a film yourself or are you just one of those collectors who do nothing for anyone but bring the prices up for those of us who actually try to be creative? shame on you mister camera8mm, shame on you.

/matt
simong

Post by simong »

I tend to agree with michael moore's gist, but think he tands to be quite sensationalist. (however looking at the quality of the news broadcasts in America, it's maybe possible to see why he is so)

I'm sure if people felt passionateley enough about the subject they would find ways of funding their documentary/adventure

Anyway, it has been done in the UK, and it is possible to sneak cameras into arms fairs etc.

Mark thomas is the British equivalent of Michael Moore, with his programme TheMark Thomas Comedy Product (not on air at the moment, but here's hoping for a new series)

He uses the same, take the piss out of the rich, politicians, business men etc technique, but then backs up the entertainment side with eveidence from government documents, government policy statements etc.

But then its the chicken and the egg thing again, is his journalism better, or is he just a product of a much more restrained (and I'm sorry to say: more informed) British attitude.

Plus, when Rory Bremner said pretty much the same thing as Moore regarding Americas oil pipeline agenda on his programme on channel 4, no-body batted an eyelid. I don't know for sure, and must admit I haven't see F 9/11 so cannot honestly compare, but I reckon its because he led up to the point with an informed (yet comedic) history of the area, its politics and Americas policy toward it since the turn of the century
unxetas

Post by unxetas »

ok moore might add some bells and whistles to his footage.. or at least to his commentary, but if he didn't.. would people really know about any of this? would people even care?