Processing Super 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Marco

Processing Super 8

Post by Marco »

Hi,
I was wondering if there are processing kits available for Super 8. I want to try todevelop my films myself and iam a bit confused with what I need. I don't want to mix these chemiccals myself and wandered if it is possible to buy the developer,bleach and the rest already made.
-i have Plus X 7276 reversal film.
Thanks.

Marco
livio

Post by livio »

look at fotoimpex in berlin: (search on the german catalogue http://www.fotoimpex.de/Fotoimpex.pdf, since the english one is not complete).
They sell fomapan R 100 developing kit.
It's quite cheap, and it has a dichromate-free bleach that's less polluting, but it is a one shot bath (unless for the bleach), eventually doesn't result really so cheap!
nother drawback are the big mail expenses.
If you go to Ilford site: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/p ... alproc.pdf or on: http://thedistillery.net/slidetest/reversal.html you find similar formulas for dichromate-free bleach. You must mix the chemicals, but it is not so difficult.
Actually I never tried yet the dichromat- free bleach since I have to finish my potassium dichromate stock.
You can find the typical potassium dichromate bleach formula in the kodak site (ore in a lot of other sites, search for 'Martin Baumgartner reversal' on google). Prepairing it is easy, chemicals are very cheap, but in Italy you can't buy anymore potassium dichromate (I had it from a friend that work in a chemical lab).
Results are good. I use for 1st and 2nd developer Kodak ID11, but it seems you can get good results also with strong paper developer (like neutol)
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Tri-X and Pan-X process reasonable well as straight forward negative. It has to be electronically reversed, but processing is simpler. I just use standard Ilford ID-11, but any black and white film developer should do.

I use a LOMO tank.

I also unwind the super-8 film onto 8mm 50' projection reels as it is easier to feed on to the tank spiral from than directly out of the cassette. I made a little fixture to unwind two cassettes together, the tank will take two films.

I have managed to unwind two cassettes and load two spirals into the tank using a large daylight changing bag resting on the table.

Negative processed film is a bit grainy, but can be projected as normal and into the computer using a camcorder.

At least one has the satisfaction of having done it all ones self.

Making no artistic or quality claims, but the results are on my web site. There is also a picture of the fixture for unwinding cassettes.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Try Ektachrome Super 8. (Ektachrome 125T 7240 VNF)

This is by far the easiest way to do reversal development. Just buy an E6 slide kit and follow the instructions. (and it will be in colour!)
Get the 3step kit, rather than the 6step ones, as this means less work!

If you want to do Plus-X you can get a good kit from the http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/cine.html it costs about £12.00. You might have to email them as I can't see it on their price list. Although I bought one about 1 month ago.

The instructions in the WideScreenCentre kit is for a G-3 tank but if you use a spiral or even just a normal 35mm tank you should adjust the times.
Just develop, blix, fix...etc. for 1/3 of what is says for the G-3.

Hope this helps you out.

aj

e6 adaptations

Post by aj »

Chris-B wrote:Try Ektachrome Super 8. (Ektachrome 125T 7240 VNF)

This is by far the easiest way to do reversal development. Just buy an E6 slide kit and follow the instructions. (and it will be in colour!)
Get the 3step kit, rather than the 6step ones, as this means less work!
Do you do any adaptations to the process? I.e. time or pH?

I just bought a 5L Jobo 3 bath kit at euro 62. As mentioned elsewhere (by me, after measuring) a LOMO needs 600ml for the first S8 spiral. So that would make Euro 8 for a film. Still, I do not want to waste to much material on testing so any experience recommendation is welcome.

I am also contemplating making a filmholder for inside a Jobo 3063 or 3062 which can then be run by a Jobo ATL machine. Should save time and hopefully some juice. I already have the ATL machine :)
The LOMO spiral is just slightly too big for the 3000 series of drum. I tight fitting drum/tank for a S8 spiral could probably be filled with 300ml.
Kind regards,

André
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Sorry everybody, but I have to write in italian.
Caro Marco e Livio,
io ogni tanto sviluppo il bianco e nero, se volete potete scrivermi a nanocentomo@libero.it. Livio: davvero non si può più acquistare il Potassio dicromato? Io ne acquistai un certo quantitativo dalla Ornano, tempo fa. Si trova delle tue parti, mi pare.
Saluti,
Giovanni
aj

Post by aj »

I reckon this is not a recommendation on changing pH levels of E6 first developers. Or the merits of this technique. :)

Reads more like a pasta trick.
Kind regards,

André