Super8 Hits The Front Page At Kodak!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Super8 Hits The Front Page At Kodak!

Post by S8 Booster »

That is the Cinematography/Products front page though.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/index.jhtml

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

Well that certainly is refreshing to see.It is obvious that father K realises that we out here are actually buying their product in quantities that must justify this action.
Being a cynic by birth!,I do wonder though if they will purposely keep the 'brakes' on its popularity somehow? Just in case it gets bigger than they wanted it to at the expense of other product,and at the same time create another Super8 explosion.
New kit anyone?--One can but dream!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think Kodak has always made easy acess to S8 films on their website. While it gets good billing on the "Products" section--I have yet to see it on the main Cinematography page.

Good Luck
super8man

Post by super8man »

I find it funny in concept that super 8 film is still being marketed while NO NEW CAMERAS are even available in the marketplace.

If you counter that the latest Beaulieu is a new camera, I would counter that the market would never support Kodak selling super 8mm based on their usage alone.

Anyhow, I am still glad they make it and wish someone would produce a $300 s8 film camera with a basic operation and Nikon/Canon/Minolta/Pentax/Contax/etc. lens mount combo. I mean, jessh, if GAF could produce cameras out the wazzoo in the 70's, I am sure it can't be that difficult to reintroduce a film transport mechanism into a basic body and fit it with a t-mount so we can get those lens converters and use our SLR lenses!!!! OK, rant over.

Cheers,
M
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
escubria

Post by escubria »

I don't think Beaulieu even make cameras anymore, they just service them as far as I know.

Can anyone confirm if Beaulieu cameras as still being made in France or Germany?

I have tried to find a Beaulieu 7008/9008PRO to buy but have had no luck; can any one help
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
escubria

Post by escubria »

Thanks for the links S8 Booster, but I have tried all of those sites before. All enquiries are basically sent to Wittner in Germany and they say that they don't have any cameras; they only have cameras that they buy in for their second hand section which is not very much and none are the "Beaulieu PRO" version.

No new production "Beaulieu PRO" cameras as they advertise at Beaulieu.de

Wittner's Beaulieu inventory never changes from their usual stock of second hand "Beaulieu S" model cameras.

So I don't belive that Beaulieu cameras are manufactured any longer in France or Germany.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Escubria,

There is a Beaulieu 7008 Pro II in the classified ads. I am not sure if this is what you want. It is a Pro8mm II. I'm not quite sure what is the difference between an original Beaulieu 7008Pro II or a Beaulieu Pro8mm II.

You can also ask Bjorn Andersson. He might know someone selling his camera or if he has one available for sale. I know he got several 4008's for sale.

I agree it is difficult to get one from Ebay nowadays. People just keep them for themselves :cry:. The closest you can get are 7008S sold last week with one having an F1.2, 6-90 lens - wow! This sold for US$1,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3064348410
escubria

Post by escubria »

"LastQuark", I think the pro8 II is not the same as the Beaulieu PROII, although similar, pro8 have put their own spin on this camera and was no doubt over priced by pro8mm when bought. That camera in the classifieds looks interesing but I wonder how much use its had? Comes with a video assist and anamorphic lens.
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

escubria - until a year ago or so - if I remember correctly the 7008 PRO was available from Wittner as new. I still think it is but on order only.

Beaulieu seem to spend most of their time in remanufacturing cameras and the 7008 PRO Seem available form their list as you may have seen.

Additionally I would also recommend your to contact Bjørn Andersson to see what he may have to offer. Email him on: bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu.

R
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

Old Uncle Barry wrote:Well that certainly is refreshing to see.It is obvious that father K realises that we out here are actually buying their product in quantities that must justify this action.
Being a cynic by birth!,I do wonder though if they will purposely keep the 'brakes' on its popularity somehow? Just in case it gets bigger than they wanted it to at the expense of other product,and at the same time create another Super8 explosion.
New kit anyone?--One can but dream!
Interesting viewpoints there.

I believe to remember that Kodak had a 16mm ad there from their update of the web site in April? 2003 and up to now. Maybe this is a way of testing the potential of both formats and WEB marketing in general? Possibly 16mm sales levelled out or is dropping? [check cheap 24P DV cams - unlike 16mm PROs none of us would even think of replacing our S8 cam with a 24P DV would we?]

If they want to experiment and make researches S8 is probably their cheapest alternative to do so with - basically fill more carts with K40 - that is speed up a production which has already existed for 40 years.

Of course, as you point out, they may have been surprised by a possible "surge" in S8 sales while they have done nothing extra in marketing and want to explore the effect of WEB high profiling or so.

Dunno. Nice "move" anyway.

R
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

escubria wrote:I don't think Beaulieu even make cameras anymore, they just service them as far as I know.

Can anyone confirm if Beaulieu cameras as still being made in France or Germany?

I have tried to find a Beaulieu 7008/9008PRO to buy but have had no luck; can any one help
At the Bavaria website it says that you can upgrade your 6008 or 7008 into the next higher model. Maybe its easier to get a 6008 pro and have them upgrade it to a 7008. Just a thought 8)
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

S8B-you raised another interesting item there about 16mm.My point is if the stuff was not selling too good then sureley Kodak would not have considered manufacturing K40 reversal? which,lets face it,is still mostly used by amateur filmers.Wouldlike to know your thoughts on this one and if anyone else out there has a slant on why Kodak do this?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

As far as I know from direct source, Beaulieu is not manufacturing new cameras but they are still selling some cameras with/without quartz.
They were doing some research in order to produce a development machine for Super 8.

Concerning the original theme of this thread, I think it is interesting that Kodak highlight the Super 8mm format; perhaps it is related to the fact that we are close to the celebration of 40 years of s8.
I think they have some excellent emultions which are not directly available in s8. For instance from a test I have done with EPP (photographic) emultion developed in Tetenal E6 gave excelent result for a daylight shooting; and from my point of view : much better result in all aspects like resolution, latitude and colour (without considering here archival properties of Kodachrome) than their reversal K-40 and Ekta 125T typical s8 films.
From my experience it appears very clear that there is an enormous potential in using some of their photographic emultions and -perhaps one day their new line of Vision2 motion picture emultions for s8mm production.
Of course this is also the case with some emultions of others manufacturers.
Regards,

Daniel
Alex

Post by Alex »

Kodak would prefer to get people into 16mm versus Super-8mm.

However, it would be wise for Kodak to show the world that Super-8 quality is equivalent to mini-dv, which then creates the obvious reasoning that 16mm and 35mm are miles ahead of that.

Until someone makes a new feature in super-8 that does reasonably well in distribution and makes money, Kodak will be reluctant to "tout" super-8 more than it has.