Kodachrome Processing Procedure Change for the U.S.?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kentbulza

Kodachrome Processing Procedure Change for the U.S.?

Post by kentbulza »

I wonder exactly what Kodak is doing here...the last time I ordered Kodachrome Super 8 with processing (February), they sent out what I'll call a "domestic box" along with separate processing mailers. This week I ordered more with processing and I received today, shipped right from the motion picture office a few blocks from my house in L.A., what I would have previously referred to as the "export box." That means it included a processing mailer in the box, but one that lists only addresses in Canada, England, Switzerland, etc. -- no U.S. address.

I wonder if they are trying to phase out the New Jersey facility and have people mail their stuff directly to Switzerland??? I've always been nervous about mailing period, which is why for still film it was nice to just slip it in the slot at A&I. (For those of you not familiar -- A&I was the last K-Lab (mini still K14 processing equipment) in the U.S. and will stop K14 processing in March 2004, leaving Dwaynes as the ONLY K14 lab (cine or still) in the Americas). Kodak now wants us to mail super 8 cartridges to Switzerland? And are they going to cover postage back to the U.S.?

Or did someone just ship the wrong box/mailers???

(This was also posted in the Kodachrome newsgroup. Sorry for cross-posting to readers of that newsgroup.)
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

This is a new one.

I've been ordering K-40 with processing included for about a year and a half (on at least 3 occasions) and it's always come with the European style mailer wrapped up inside the carton, and it's always been accepted at Fair Lawn as well. I wonder if what you received in February was either a mistake or a substitute because they were out of the normal stock. Maybe they were trying to burn off old stock before it expired.

Communication is one of the things that Kodak could really improve on. You have to speculate about where your film is going and why they send this mailer or that mailer. A little note inside the package would go a long way!
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

It was only in the USA that mailers were sold seperately. Obviously they are selling the same pre-paid stock in the USA, but someone has forgotten that it does not have the USA address on.

My experience of USA mail to Europe have been that it is pretty quick. So, send it direct to the Swiss address and chances are it may come back quicker.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Hi Wahiba,

Respectful disagreement, but at least to date, either style of mailer works just fine through our local Kodak center in New Jersey. So, I'd recommend keeping it stateside.

I'd be concerned that since Kodak has an agreement with Dwayne's, Kodak Switzerland might not process a mailer with a US return address, but instead either bounce it back or put it on the slow boat to Kansas! (Not, sure, anybody know?)

Has anybody in the US recently sent a Kodak mailer to Switzerland? If so, how much does it cost, what kind of turnaround time are you seeing?
kentbulza

Just to Confirm

Post by kentbulza »

BolexPlusX wrote:This is a new one.

I've been ordering K-40 with processing included for about a year and a half (on at least 3 occasions) and it's always come with the European style mailer wrapped up inside the carton, and it's always been accepted at Fair Lawn as well.
So you're saying you've used the European envelope and mailed it to Fair Lawn even though the envelope says "KODAK PROCESSING NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES"?
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Absolutely, and it's worked every time.

Once again, because Kodak doesn't tell people what's happening, there is confusion. We have this talk all the time on this forum.

I explained it better in this one:

http://8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/for ... a451198503

I have two cartridges like this out right now. Unless something goofy has happened, they'll go through (I think I've done about 20 so far)
teadub

Post by teadub »

kentbulza wrote:So you're saying you've used the European envelope and mailed it to Fair Lawn even though the envelope says "KODAK PROCESSING NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES"?
I can second that. A have developed 500ft this way since September. One batch took about 4 weeks the other took about 15 days from mailbox to door. In addition, all of the film was in the European packaging.

Also, I sent it to the less used address:

Kodak Lab
16-31 Route 208
Fairlawn NJ 07410
USA
• Steven Christopher Wallace •
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2591403/
http://www.scwfilms.com
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Got one of mine back today: European mailer through Fair Lawn, 19 days, no troubles!
matt5791

K40

Post by matt5791 »

Hi,

I am based in the UK and I send my K40 to a Kodak address in London. When I receive it back it comes with all the Swiss post marks on it and customs green ticket as Kodak just put the processed film straight in the post in Switzerland. I've never had one lost, but if it was something really precious or important (eg. a UFO sighting!) I don't think I would trust this system.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
matt5791

K40

Post by matt5791 »

Hi,

I am based in the UK and I send my K40 to a Kodak address in London. When I receive it back it comes with all the Swiss post marks on it and customs green ticket as Kodak just put the processed film straight in the post in Switzerland. I've never had one lost, but if it was something really precious or important (eg. a UFO sighting!) I don't think I would trust this system.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Hey Matt,

You can help settle an old debate here. There is a controversy if North American film gets sent to Switzerland or Dwayne's in Kansas.

Please describe the reel that your recent K-40 has come back from the lab on.

(Black reel with snap on cover or white reel in white cardboard box?)
matt5791

What type of reel.....

Post by matt5791 »

Hi,

My K40 always comes back on a black reel with snap on cover and about 2 feet of white leader with a very tidy cement splice onto the film. Hope this is of help

Cheers
Matt
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Ah, there it is.

My K-40 used to come on a black reel with the snap on cover until about a year ago it suddenly switched to a white reel in a box.

I take that change to indicate the switch from Switzerland to Kansas.

Thanks!

(Coming up next: Who really built the pyramids?!)
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

second.. Fair Lawn, white reel, white box.
leadlike

Post by leadlike »

If you are saying that kodak and dwayne's work together then, is it possible for me to use my pk-59 mailer with Dwayne's? Or will they not accept that? I live in the US, so this would make me feel a lot more comfortable in shipping, rather than subjecting my film to such globetrotting.