Elmo Super 8 Sound 230S-XL Shooter question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andain

Elmo Super 8 Sound 230S-XL Shooter question

Post by Andain »

Hi, I found at my granp's house a Elmo Super 8.
I added some batteries and it started working but the shooter doesn't open when I press the trigger. Is that normal? Does it means mine it's not working correctly?

It runs everything else except it doesn't seem to open the space while not having the flim, I wanna buy some but if this means it's not working I wish to save the buy,

Thanks for your help.
mr8mm

Re: Elmo Super 8 Sound 230S-XL Shooter question

Post by mr8mm »

The shooter doesn't open. Exactly what does that mean. Do you mean the cartridge door doesn't open so you can't load the film cartridge? Or something else? When you pull the trigger you should hear the motor running. There is also a telephoto/ wide angle control that will move the lens from wide angle to telephoto. I believe it is on the top of the camera. With film chamber door open you should be able to look into the camera cartridge compartment and see the film turn spindle. When you push the trigger the spindle should turn. I don't believe this camera requires that film is in the camera to run.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Maybe he means he can hear the sound of the capstan motor for the sound head revving up but the separate motor for the claw and takeup doesn't run? And yes, it should run without a cartridge.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

It has been my experience with this camera and similar models that everything will work but the claw and film advance motor will fail and not engage when the trigger is pulled. It would seem that there is a bad contact somewhere but I could never find the problem. Sometimes cleaning the battery contacts will help even if there is no obvious corrosion.