Regular 8 Vision 3 50D - First Scan is Back

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

silverhalide

Regular 8 Vision 3 50D - First Scan is Back

Post by silverhalide »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssaFEWVQ9EI (corrected url)

Shot with a NOS Bolex D8L I bought on ebay awhile back and my father's D8LA.

Interestingly, the D8LA has a bright line across the frame near the top. It's most easily seen when there is sky in the top of the frame. This same line appears in film dating back to 1963. Does anyone have any theories on that? My theory is that the edge of the aperture plate is shiny and the line is light reflected off that. But I'm just guessing.

ps It's still uploading as of 4:27 pm usa central time.
Last edited by silverhalide on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
silverhalide

Re: Regular 8 Vision 3 50D - First Scan is Back

Post by silverhalide »

And here's a print of that negative. It looks like there's some work to be done before printing is ready for prime time. I do like the look of some shots. It's kind of reversal-ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsp_G9D082I
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Here it is on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/158709257

Color and brightness may be slightly different. Frame rate has been adjusted.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Interesting!. So it's not a through the lens reflex? Is any of the flat black paint in the aperture missing or worn away?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

slashmaster wrote:Interesting!. So it's not a through the lens reflex? Is any of the flat black paint in the aperture missing or worn away?
No reflex. Here's the camera used in the second half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tx8e-UcJfc

The first half was shot with my dad's camera, which has a *lot* of miles on it. But the line goes back a long ways. Here it is in May, 1963:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIRyGjbkNXY

He was quite a perfectionist, so I'm surprised he never noticed it. It's not really possible to see the edge of the hole in the aperture plate without disassembling the camera, I think. I can't really see it to make a determination.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

silverhalide wrote:
slashmaster wrote:Interesting!. So it's not a through the lens reflex? Is any of the flat black paint in the aperture missing or worn away?
No reflex. Here's the camera used in the second half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tx8e-UcJfc

The first half was shot with my dad's camera, which has a *lot* of miles on it. But the line goes back a long ways. Here it is in May, 1963:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIRyGjbkNXY

He was quite a perfectionist, so I'm surprised he never noticed it. It's not really possible to see the edge of the hole in the aperture plate without disassembling the camera, I think. I can't really see it to make a determination.
Oh! Hoover dam!. What a great film! So on the d8l you can see the aperture soon as you rotate the lens out of the way but with the d8lA it's got an iris in the way? Hmmmmm, does the d8lA have the lenses the same distance from the film plane?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

slashmaster wrote:
Oh! Hoover dam!. What a great film! So on the d8l you can see the aperture soon as you rotate the lens out of the way but with the d8lA it's got an iris in the way? Hmmmmm, does the d8lA have the lenses the same distance from the film plane?
Oh, I didn't think about looking from the lens side! Duh. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. The D8L and D8LA are the same but for: 1) different meter - d8la has a 5.5mm flip down lens in the finder, 2) d8la has rewind crank but d8l does not. Distance from lenses to film is the same.

I'm sure my dad would apreciate your kind words. That's Glen Canyon Dam, though.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

silverhalide wrote:
slashmaster wrote:
Oh, I didn't think about looking from the lens side! Duh. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. The D8L and D8LA are the same but for: 1) different meter - d8la has a 5.5mm flip down lens in the finder, 2) d8la has rewind crank but d8l does not. Distance from lenses to film is the same.

I'm sure my dad would apreciate your kind words. That's Glen Canyon Dam, though.
Oh alright... I wonder if the problem would go away if you open the auto aperture fully, then use the manual lens aperture? Would be great if you can get a pic of what it looks like. Glen Canyon sure looks like Hoover! I was looking at the bridge in front of the dam and thought it must be Hoover.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

These results are very promising! :ymapplause:
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Results over expectations, dear Denis. Very good color density...
I can't answer the question that you put in the first post, I've never used that kind of Bolex, but I imagine the results with my H8 Rex4 and Pan Cinor lens.

One thing I don't understand, forgive me, I will always clash with English language: you have scanned also the "print"? So there is the possibility of having the projectable positive from negative, somewhere?

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Oops, perhaps in another post of Vision you said that the projectable print of negative was done on 16mm positive film (not be cut in classic Reg 8 mode).
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

7OSE9 wrote: EDIT: Oops, perhaps in another post of Vision you said that the projectable print of negative was done on 16mm positive film (not be cut in classic Reg 8 mode).
Yes, that's correct. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsp_G9D082I is a print of the negative on 3383. The second half has some noticeable registration problems for some reason. That is odd because the second half is the more stable part of the negative. I'm anxious to project the print to see how the color looks.

I do have unperforated 16mm 3383 print film, so I can have 8mm print film made. But before I spend the money perforating the print film, I want to make sure I can make good prints.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Progress continues at warp speed...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

Results are very promising. Very nice packaging also.
A camera with a sprocket driven mechanism, like a Bolex H8RX, should give better registration.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Ok, are you ready to ship? I'd love to have some of this for summer. Just need a price and PayPal address when you're ready.

I'd also like to see about a 16mm blow-up print for fun. I'm sure Tommy at VideoFilmSolutions.com in Maryland could whip a test one up quickly. He could also do an optical soundtrack on the 16mm print...that's getting very interesting. I'll have to remember to record sound with my Zoom when I shoot.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

I'll have TXR in my hands early next week and 50D about a week later.