If Kodak get their new film/cam act together:The Supermag400

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

If Kodak get their new film/cam act together:The Supermag400

Post by S8 Booster »

Now, if Kodak manage to get this thing (Total products line, cameras, film, labs, transfers & logistics) going .. we will know a year from now.... Kodak and or possibly Logmar should contact Dave to see if the Supermag400 400 ft mag could be improved and possible get 400´(sound striped (HA HA)) film loads vis Kodak/Wittner or elsewhere.

But I recon the 15´Kodapak cart is the most economic & wise solution for Kodak in terms of costs n profits.In this somewhat still fragile period for their syndicate...

Well,....

Here is the thing: http://supermag400.tripod.com

Please do not be carried away.....

Shoot....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
slashmaster

Re: If Kodak get their new film/cam act together:The Superma

Post by slashmaster »

Your link didn't work, 400 feet? Don't you mean 200? I've got 3 Elmo 240 cameras that have a door on top for 200 footers. You can get a 400 foot mag for that? I know it's certainly possible to soundstripe a film after you've developed it. I wonder how possible it would be to do in the dark before you use it?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

The 400' Supermag was developed and discussed here about 10 years ago. Not sure how many were made but it was a novel idea. That would give you almost 30 minutes of running time. Those cameras that could accept a 200' mag could use this 400' version.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Strange, the link: http://supermag400.tripod.com works well on my gear and even this:

or this

Shoot..
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

That's amazing! It's so good looking too! But where can you find 400 ft or even 200 ft of film?
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

slashmaster wrote:That's amazing! It's so good looking too! But where can you find 400 ft or even 200 ft of film?
I suppose 400´was a project only at the time - if i recal correctly PRO8mm supplied this for testing. 100 or 200´loads may also be used.

Wittner sells 200ft spools:
WITTNER: CHROME 200D
Super 8 (8S 1R 4234 [1667] EIB) auf Rohfilmkern (Bobby)
Farb-Umkehrfilm. Agfachrome RSX-II 200 Emulsion auf klarem Polyesterträger
ISO 200/24° Tageslicht (5500K, ohne Filter)
ISO 50/18° Kunstlicht/Filmleuchte (3200-3400K, mit Filter Wratten 80A)
Entwicklung (E6) im Filmpreis nicht eingeschlossen.
60m/200ft auf Kern
Best.-Nr. 1200-60 - (00.00 EUR netto) 00.00 EUR brutto
Dieser Artikel ist z.Zt. ausverkauft
zzgl. Versandkosten. netto = zzgl. MwSt., brutto = incl. MwSt.
AGFA SCALA professional
Super 8 (8S 1R 4234 [1667] EIB) auf Rohfilmkern (Bobby)
SW Umkehrfilm auf klarem Acetat Träger
ISO 100/21° Tageslicht (ohne Filter)
ISO 80/20° Kunstlicht (ohne Filter)
Bei Entwicklung in Standard D94-A Chemie erreicht das Material ISO 100/21°. Bei eigener Entwicklung kann und darf natürlich abweichend belichtet und entwickelt werden. Dieser auf dem Weltmarkt einzigartige Umkehrfilm in Schwarzweiß verfügt über Push/Pull-Möglichkeiten von ISO 100/21° bis ISO 1600/33° und eine Reihe weiterer ausgezeichneter Eigenschaften: Feinkörnigkeit, hervorragende Schärfe, außergewöhnliche Brillanz, klare und intensive helle Töne, fein modulierte Grauwerte, satte Tiefen. Ob Mode, Werbung, Dokumentation, Architektur oder Landschaft - der AGFA SCALA professional bietet eine exklusive Performance in Schwarzweiß. Quelle: Agfaphoto.com, Produktbeschreibung des Kleinbildfilms. Entwicklung im Filmpreis nicht eingeschlossen.
60m/200ft auf Kern
Best.-Nr. 1003-60 - (83.95 EUR netto) 99.90 EUR brutto

shoot...
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Now that I have cameras that will accept this cartridge, I wonder if the registration is any better than a normal super 8 cartridge?
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

The teste Dave (the inventor) posted at the time showed no improvement over normal carts.

That said I believe the film material he got hold of wasn't very well perfed etc.

I am sure there was a potential to improve registration but if i remember correctly the project more or less collapsed before it really got going.

A few old posts here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6870&hilit=supermag400+dave

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7089&p=56430#p56430

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6870&p=55274#p55274

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3889&p=36348#p36348

Search: supermag400_inventor and creativeimageguy in this forum. This is the same guy who built the ah
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Needs a rethink and design. Logmar may be developing a 400 ft S8 mag for optical printing.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
aj

Post by aj »

If they are smart Logmar sticks with the standard 200ft cameraspools as used in the Beualieu SD-8. Things will be difficult enough and self-inventing yet another type of spool would just be asking for trouble. Wittner had given up on long rolls but will do special production of meterware on 200ft spools.

Dave of supermag400 had a bit of a confrontanial style of discussing things. He manufactured some 10 pieces in a pre run. Price level was (too) low at some $500. How could one possibly produce and get some pay for your efforts from that. It is now near the price of one load of film. Or two in the USA :(
Kind regards,

André
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I remember that thing. It would turn your S8 camera into a beast. It just wouldn't make sense, especially without any improved registation. A 200ft mag would be plenty with 10 min at 24fps. Something with a metal pressure plate would be a must. Although I would prefer pin registration before larger spools. The only benefit I would get from a mag would be filming live music, concerts. Otherwise I find the 50 footers pretty quick and convienant.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Tscan wrote:The only benefit I would get from a mag would be filming live music, concerts.
True. Even at weddings that mag would make the camera unruly to use. And switching out a 50ft cartridge takes about 90 seconds.

I have an 800 ft. Arri SR Mag that's been sitting in my closet for years. Have to special order loads for it and I have problems getting through 400' of 16mm at a time already. Actually, I have several half-shot Super 8 cartridges sitting around too.
aj

Post by aj »

The Supermag400 was the biggest. Possibly not so handy or beautiful.

A Beaulieu 6/7/9008 with SD-8 looks quite beautiful and is still good to handle. The same for the ELMO TL8 with 100ft magazine.
It gives the commisioners the feel something is being delivered and it makes a good impression on the audience.

Still, best images would be registered using a tripod or other means of support. Like the Bauer 715 built-in pod, NIZO shoulderpods or the Leicina Special original shoulderpod. Running about shooting such costly material is plain stupid.
Kind regards,

André