Huge Price Increase for Super 8 Film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

Huge Price Increase for Super 8 Film

Post by Tscan »

Kodak is raising the price of S8 Vision3 films from $18.18 per cart to $23.60 per cart. Is this the death knell?
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploaded ... 114_EI.pdf
Reborn member since Sept 2003
mr8mm

Re: Huge Price Increase for Super 8 Film

Post by mr8mm »

In the past Kodak has had a large price increase before pulling the plug on a product. Price increase causes sales to decrease gives justification to discontinue catalog number. Or kodak wants to get as much profit from a product as possible before cancelling. take your pick. In either case it comes down to the same thing. No more S8 from Kodak.

j.S.
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

I don't think it necessarily means the death knell. Remember they put up the prices of all the other stocks when they cancelled 100D in December 2012. Prices for super 8 carts have been increasing across the board, including repackaged stock available through other companies. The current prices for a roll of colour reversal have reached insanity level.

I don't think Kodak will pull the plug on Negative film yet, it is still selling and many more are converting since the loss of a colour reversal stock from Kodak.

Keep buying and shooting film is all we can do. It just gets more and more expenisve, and we'll see how many people hang up their super 8 camera for good along the way. A lot of casual shooters stopped when K40 died. More stopped when 100D became the object of greed amongst resellers. Hardcore shooters are still going on, having to pay a little more for their "fix" now, and their "pushers" are bumping up the prices all the time.

I have been shooting a lot of B&W reversal for home movies, since it is still *currently* at least 30-40% cheaper than colour reversal.

We will have to see what happens, but we mustn't panic. We must simply carry on shooting till the day we can no longer afford to.

Jamie
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Andersens Tears wrote:I don't think it necessarily means the death knell. Remember they put up the prices of all the other stocks when they cancelled 100D in December 2012. Prices for super 8 carts have been increasing across the board, including repackaged stock available through other companies. The current prices for a roll of colour reversal have reached insanity level.

I don't think Kodak will pull the plug on Negative film yet, it is still selling and many more are converting since the loss of a colour reversal stock from Kodak.

Keep buying and shooting film is all we can do. It just gets more and more expenisve, and we'll see how many people hang up their super 8 camera for good along the way. A lot of casual shooters stopped when K40 died. More stopped when 100D became the object of greed amongst resellers. Hardcore shooters are still going on, having to pay a little more for their "fix" now, and their "pushers" are bumping up the prices all the time.

I have been shooting a lot of B&W reversal for home movies, since it is still *currently* at least 30-40% cheaper than colour reversal.

We will have to see what happens, but we mustn't panic. We must simply carry on shooting till the day we can no longer afford to.

Jamie
so much truth in your words here Jamie ,

The kodak moment is not for the poor anymore ? I put it down to the price of sliver , From FB paper to film prices and chemicals have really gone kind of Nasa out there ? from the time i have been away from the darkroom ,
so my Pusher was right about all thing's sliver based shooting up also it's now a smaller market for those that do shoot film ,
When I am out with my super 8 camera the strange look I get from people from time to time ? not that I care , let them look, that also tell me the time and age of now ,
keep it DIY and keep shooting film ,
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I got my order in this morning for 20 cars 50D, 20 200T, 10 500T and 10 TriX. It's hard to say if they will scrap the program any time soon? Coincidentally they also have a new CEO and he doesn't look like a fun guy. Either way I figure that i'm saving $5 a roll by ordering up now. It looks like Ferrania will have a 100ASA color reversal film for S8 when they are ready.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
rlorenz2

Post by rlorenz2 »

Wow! I wish that was my order 60 carts of film :)

I had to go the modest route, but placed my order for 12 Trix and 3 50D

Still excited though.
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
grainy

Post by grainy »

nikonr10 wrote:
Andersens Tears wrote:I don't think it necessarily means the death knell. Remember they put up the prices of all the other stocks when they cancelled 100D in December 2012. Prices for super 8 carts have been increasing across the board, including repackaged stock available through other companies. The current prices for a roll of colour reversal have reached insanity level.

Jamie
so much truth in your words here Jamie ,

The kodak moment is not for the poor anymore ? I put it down to the price of sliver , From FB paper to film prices and chemicals have really gone kind of Nasa out there ? from the time i have been away from the darkroom ,
so my Pusher was right about all thing's sliver based shooting up also it's now a smaller market for those that do shoot film ,
When I am out with my super 8 camera the strange look I get from people from time to time ? not that I care , let them look, that also tell me the time and age of now ,
keep it DIY and keep shooting film ,
Yeah, price increase does not necessarily equal death-knell of a product. That's not actually a business model.
My guess is it's a bit of the price of silver, but mostly the new CEO, who probably says figures that anyone who wants to shoot super 8 is going to do it, 5 more bucks a cart or not. And the price increase helps justify its existence as they continue to operate at a loss, recovering and reconfiguring the company for the 21st century film/digital balance.
marc

Post by marc »

I believe it would be cheaper for Kodak to spool the Regular 8mm film. But if silver prices skyrocket, it really won't matter. Silver prices would actually be higher if it wasn't for short selling. There isn't 1/1000 the amount of physical silver on the earth to cover the shorts. This is artificially keeping the price down. Maybe Kodak is pricing based on true availability and not synthetically created market value.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Despite what the U.S. government claims, inflation has the value of the dollar cut in half about every ten years. So, every decade, the price of everything doubles. It's pure economics.

Also, Kodak warned everybody that they'd be raising their prices because they're now running smaller batches of film. The economy of scale for Vision3 (a VERY complex film) is dropping faster than the rest of the film stocks because even Hollywood, who recently depended almost exclusively on film, are now shooting largely on video.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

The price of Kodak tri x has really gone up ,been looking to stock up on my black/white carts , not any good deals like there used to be on ebay for EU buys ?
dealer in my city now sell from 27,50 euros to 38.00 euros,

Is kodak going to pull the plug on Tri X film soon , For it 50 year old brithday of super 8 film ?
beaunizo

Post by beaunizo »

That Euro 38 would be including processing (and sales tax) ?
Otherwise your dealer is planning for a new car :)
Now selling in classifieds:
New-old-stock classic ciné projector bulbs
CIR Catozzo Splicers and tape S8
Beaulieu Nizo accessoiries/parts
Daylight 8/8 CINÉ processing tank Superior bulk film
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

beaunizo wrote:That Euro 38 would be including processing (and sales tax) ?
Otherwise your dealer is planning for a new car :)
No this is just for one super 8 cart the price of 38 Euro ? mind you there are the main Leica Dealer's !! still that not cheap for 3mins 20sec of film ? and the other dealer well he also of that kind of price here as well , Which now just leaves one at 27,50 euro and that just for the cart .
Eric Milborn

Post by Eric Milborn »

hi,

try wittner for europe
http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/katalog/ ... _filmm.php

tri-x starting @ 20.92 euros + tax

or John for US
http://www.internationalfilmbroker.com/

tri-x @ 23.75 $ + tax