Small 16mm Viewer Needed!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Spectra

Small 16mm Viewer Needed!

Post by Spectra »

Hello from Spectra Film and Video!

We supply an Elmo 912 dual 8 viewer for all of our customers to use in our store free of charge. They can use it to review their home movies or film recently processed by us.

Now, many of our customers (especially the students) have been asking to view their 16mm film in our store. Unfortunately, we need something small with folding arms to put up on a shelf when not in use. Something of decent caliber of quality is needed that will provide reliability, bright picture and not scratch film. "Minette Sixteen" with take-up arms comes to mind but seems to be impossible to locate in decent shape complete with arms .

We need to keep the 16 viewer economical as we wish to provide it to in-store customers as a free service. Especially when all they want to see is a simple film test. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
David M. Leugers

Re: Small 16mm Viewer Needed!

Post by David M. Leugers »

What you describe is the Zeiss Moviscope with rewind attachment. I still have the attachment that can be used with either the 16mm or R-8mm viewers, but I'll have to look to see if I still have a 16mm viewer. I used to have several, now when I use a viewer I use my Minette 16mm.
etimh

Post by etimh »

David M. Leugers wrote:I used to have several, now when I use a viewer I use my Minette 16mm.
David, is this the Minette 16mm viewer you use?:

That's a great looking piece of equipment. I have a Moviscop that I used to use exclusively but recently got a Magnasynch Moviola 16mm viewer. Seems to treat the film just as nicely as the Moviscop but with a bigger brighter screen. Mine's like this unit:

But of course I have to use rewinds with both, which doesn't fit the bill for what the Spectra boys are looking for. For the Moviscop "rewind attachment," are you referring to that mounting board that has the small rewinds attached to it? Does your Minette have rewind arms, or what do you use for your setup?

Tim
David M. Leugers

Tim my Minette is different. It was the style re-badged under the Meier Handcock brand. It has a chrome handle for carrying on each side. The Zeiss rewinds mount under the front of the viewer and are very compact much like 8mm editing viewers you see, but made of metal in nice green paint to match the viewer.

I use my viewers between a set of Neumade dynamic rewinds. After using Moviola and Hollywood winds, I like these the best. I use a set of adapters from Neumade to use S-8mm reels when needed.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Spectra wrote:We need to keep the 16 viewer economical as we wish to provide it to in-store customers as a free service. Especially when all they want to see is a simple film test. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Your post suggests you've already dismissed Christy's down the street. I see they list a Moviscop 16mm viewer for sale or rent. You never know (sometimes they don't know) what else they might have in their back rooms.
Wade
David M. Leugers

So Spectra, are you interested in the rewind attachment? It can be used with any 16mm Zeiss Moviescope viewer. They work very nice and even have a feature that allows them to fold along side of the viewer for the most compact storage. I'd be willing to swap for either some film or processing.
Spectra

Post by Spectra »

Hey David,

Really appreciate the offer! But, what we really need is someting ready to use out of the box. We will not have time to look for parts or accessories. If you or anyone else on this forum can provide us with a clean looking 16mm viewer complete with folding arms we will be happy to discuss trade, etc
David M. Leugers

Your call. Zeiss viewers are plentiful. It takes a minute or two to remove the front rubber feet, align the attachment with the holes, and reinstall the feet. The hard part is obtaining the rewind attachment... Other than the Zeiss, Craig made a 16mm viewer with rewinds in a very compact setup.