When was the last time you shot real movie film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Poll ended at Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 am

Today
3%
Yesterday
8%
Last week
32%
Last month
21%
This year
18%
Last year
8%
Too long ago
11%

Total votes: 38

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I guess the title says it all. Just out of curiosity: When did you shoot your last Super8, 16mm, 35mm or even R8/9.5 film?

I'll leave the poll running for 2 weeks. Lets see what today's status is.

I shot an Ektachrome 100D with my Nizo Pro yesterday. The film before that one was shot in June I think ...

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
etimh

Re: When was the last time you shot real movie film?

Post by etimh »

Last month for me--Super 8 tri-x in Nikon R10 and Canon 814XL-S.

Tim
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Yesterday I made an 800' trial print of the film I have been working on the last few months. Its a laboratory film - so the only film I shot for it was for the titles (I shot with 3374 optical sound neg). The rest of the film was made using 3302 black and white print stock. Very complicated laboratory printing involved throughout the film.
Images originated from sheets of sticky paper with dots on them. These are used as 'tones' for manga comic cartoons. Manga's use of tone-screen images derives from the days when cartoons needed to be lithographic - just black or white with no grey tones (maybe comics are still like that, I don't know). These bits of 'dot screen' paper were photogrammed onto 3302 print stock in the darkroom. Naturally, the dots cover the soundtrack area. They make various audio tones when projected, depending on the size of the dots. There are lots of different sizes, so lots of different tones are possible. Very slight variations in the way a tone sheet are photogrammed onto film make different audio tones too - it never comes out exactly the same. Multiple layers of tone screen paper make interesting interference patters - this is where it gets visually interesting.
I then took the original photograms and printed them with what I call 'zebra mattes' - strips of super 16 film that are alternating black and clear (being super 16, it covers the soundtrack area as well). By printing the photogram in the contact printer onto fresh 3302 print stock, and then passing the same print stock through the printer again with a zebra-matte, the end result is a strip of film that alternates photogrammed dots/black/photogrammed dots ... Such zebrad master rolls are then printed onto more 3302 such that the pictures from one roll line up with the black from a second roll, and vice versa. This then makes a master roll that alternates frame by frame two different photogrammes. This technique can be used with any subject of course. you can also make a simmilar effect using an optical printer and bi-packing, but it is sooooo much faster to use the contact printer.
Made perhaps 2000' of such contact printer experiments, doing all sorts of combinations and inversions. Finished the film yesterday. Its 18 minutes of dotty heaven! Entirely cameraless (except for the titles) and has a thrilling dotty sound track to boot.
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
CinemanUK

Post by CinemanUK »

I shot some Fuji Eterna 250D (16mm) last week, and before that some Ektachrome 100D (also 16mm) within the last month. I used my Bolex SBM.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Nice survey, does it still count if you later decide it's not worth processing?
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Yes Slashmaster! It still counts. :D
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

richard p. t. wrote:Finished the film yesterday.
Will we see it?
grainy

Post by grainy »

Two weekends ago, family trip/reunion in Glacier Park USA. Shot TriX super 8. Loved the hell out of it.
G
BAC

Post by BAC »

I shoot home movies in both super 8 and regular 8mm. So far this Year I've been experimenting with time lapse using my Bolex 160 with a mechanical time lapse device that I bought on ebay. I have only done time lapse in super 8 because I can leave it running all day and not worry about the changing light conditions. I have been doing a lot of other home movies on regular 8mm and testing some new cameras. We had a swimming pool installed in my back yard so that has been a lot of my filming. Here is the breakdown for this year:

Super 8:
Snow storm time lapse - 50'
Swiming pool installation time lpse - 100'
Business trip to Rota, CNMI - 50'

Regular 8mm:
Trip to New York city - 50'
4th of July parade - 25'
camera tests - 25'
Swimming pool installation - 100'

Future plans for the rest of the year include a business trip to Saipan. I plan to shoot a few rolls of regular 8mm on one of my Bolex pocket cameras. Home movies with my Bolex H8 Rex 4. I just got my Vario Sitar 36EE lens repaired by Roger Sharland so I may try some time lapse since he got the meter working again.
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

16mm in March but I did just order some S8 from Kodak a few days ago.
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

I shot three carts of 100D in my Nikon R8 last Wednesday at the Atlantic City Airshow.
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Yesterday, my kids, 100D, Canon 814
fairchild

Post by fairchild »

I shot some 16 last month on the fourth of July which came out nice! Other than that not much this year.I need to order some soon

Joe
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

sciolist wrote:
richard p. t. wrote:Finished the film yesterday.
Will we see it?
Hello Sciolist,
not on line I am afraid. I will be entering it in festivals for a year or so yet.
If you are interested I can send you a dvd when I make one after I return from a tour I am doing to Europe and Japan (leaving on tuesday for 3 months!!!!!)
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Shot today one cartridge of old Vision2 200T to test camera before real action, tomorrow possibly some seven cartridges of Vision3? :)