Dwayne's & Kodachrome in the New York Times

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

Dwayne's & Kodachrome in the New York Times

Post by Tscan »

Reborn member since Sept 2003
woods01

Re: Dwayne's & Kodachrome in the New York Times

Post by woods01 »

Good article. Amazing to read that a guy dropped off some 1,500 rolls! 8O
super8man

Post by super8man »

Don't miss the video at the bottom. I have to say it is very very well done.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

There is also one article in a norwegian newspaper which contains most of the elements included in the NYT.

It can be found here:
http://m.db.no/2010/12/30/nyheter/utenr ... /14897497/
May be googled to english.

One surprising info here is that Kodak was denied to sell KC including processing in the US by court order in 1956 to avoid K to obtain unfair business advantages over its competitors.

In Europe, at least 8mm was always sold including processing.

Shoot...
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

super8man wrote:Don't miss the video at the bottom. I have to say it is very very well done.
It is well done. A few funny things: The host calls it "Prairie" Kansas right before the clip starts. The Kodak commercial they use for nostalgia is really a spot about color print film and not Kodachrome. The girl they interview at the end about what she chose to finally shoot is using a digital camera and not a film camera. But I had seen this before and also thought it was well put together. There was a level of respect present that you don't always see in news stories.

Roger
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

It seems that there is a general misinerpreted response that slide film, all still film, Kodak, and Dwayn'es Photo are all gone too. By announcing the death of Kodachrome, they basically insinuate the death of all things related to it. Yes it's an iconic emulsion, but there is no mention that you can still shoot great slide pictures on other emulsions and project them. I do it all the time, then Velvia 50 and EVS100 are amazing. A little different than Kodachrome for better or worse
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

Tscan wrote:It seems that there is a general misinerpreted response that slide film, all still film, Kodak, and Dwayn'es Photo are all gone too. By announcing the death of Kodachrome, they basically insinuate the death of all things related to it. Yes it's an iconic emulsion, but there is no mention that you can still shoot great slide pictures on other emulsions and project them. I do it all the time, then Velvia 50 and EVS100 are amazing. A little different than Kodachrome for better or worse
Hell, I've talked to people that think that all film is discontinued! Kodak should have just stuck the name on an E-6 film with similar characteristics.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Ha! They shold have ended the "sad, end of an erra" anecdote with... but then we shot some of the newer slide film and the colors were even better, and you can process it all over the world still!
super8man

Post by super8man »

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding - WINNER! That is absolutely true. Hahaha...good one.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Do the new Velvia or Ektachrome stocks have a better chance at lasting longer than the old Ektachrome?

Every slide I look at from the early 50's is faded to red unless its Kodachrome which looks like it was taken yesterday. Just looked through a batch yesterday and found the same thing.
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

Will2 wrote:Do the new Velvia or Ektachrome stocks have a better chance at lasting longer than the old Ektachrome?
Yes. The E-6 process is the most stable Ektachrome process by far. E-6 process films from the early 90s were rated at 220 years of stability by Wilhelm Research. E100D is probably even more stable.
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Tscan wrote:Ha! They shold have ended the "sad, end of an erra" anecdote with... but then we shot some of the newer slide film and the colors were even better, and you can process it all over the world still!
Again Kodak misses another opportunity to milk nostalgia to promote their current products. Would canceling Tri-X get a similar media love-in?

Sadly I think the only other time Kodak will get this much positive media attention is when they close their film division completely.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

No kidding! It's like they want to let their film division coast on fumes, while blowing all it's revenue on high tech digital technology that either makes their products obsolete, or provides other tech companies with gadgets to take over and make better... making themselves even more obsolete.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

That's what happens when you appoint a CEO that used to work for Hewlett Packard for 25 years...