a tribute - Super Duper 8 footage

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

D_Odell

a tribute - Super Duper 8 footage

Post by D_Odell »

a tribute

This really really short film was made while testing the latest modification of the camera: Super Duper 8. The stock that was used is a 2 year old Pro8mm 50D. And the HD transfer was done by Uppsala BildTeknik.

Since I didn’t come up with an idea at first I remade a sequence (actually a good practise) from the future film: Chunking Express, directed by Wong Kar Wai and cinematography by Christopher Doyle.

For best picture I recommend downloading the orginal file, which will downloadable to the 6th jan. http://vimeo.com/18293522

Best,
David
etimh

Re: a tribute - Super Duper 8 footage

Post by etimh »

Man, that looks really good. A very nice film, David. Bravo.

What camera?

Tim
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

Its a Beaulieu ZMII with Angenieux 6-80 lens.

The small amount of grain comes from the stock. And the sharpness can probable be better, because the modification to SD8 you have to center the lens, but also maintain the correct distance. Hard job to say the least.

Best,
David
Pj

Post by Pj »

This is great stuff, great example of how wonderful Super 8 is!
P
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

...And the process of making a super 8 movie. I love the feeling of geting the stock back from development, pure joy when actually see the results. Nothing can be compared in the digital era.

Glad you like!
woods01

Post by woods01 »

This is really GREAT looking footage and not a bad little test film overall. The film looks very stable, was there any stabilization done in post?

Also if you're looking to further emulate the Chungkin Express opening scene what they did was undercrank the camera (6fps I guess) then step printed it up to 24fps.
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

Excellent information! Will try that under cranking next time I go for a shot.
And regarding stabilisation, the two first cuts with the blue house and the glimmering decor was stabilised in AE, the rest is only right out of the camera.

Take care,
David