Customs opened my film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

superadio

Customs opened my film

Post by superadio »

My first purchase of 16mm 100D arrived with broken seal of plastic container. I order from Andec, and it was shipped as letter, and stamp showed it had been for custom control. Of course I dont know how much light this film has been exposed to. But this is surtenly a bad thing to everyone that still use this kind of material.
aj

Re: Customs opened my film

Post by aj »

coming into Norway?

Is this plain stupidity or have instructions on import-inspections been enhanced and is this on purpose? I.e. are they checking on illegal substances or other chemical compounds ?

Next we'll get for real that these people want to inspect 35mm filmcartridges or 120 rolls. In the past it was used on several occasions in a comedyshow, a customs or immigration officer yanking out the film, now we can expect it for real? The films being ours.
Kind regards,

André
Freya

Post by Freya »

You need to make a fuss about this. Let Andec know if you havn't already and contact the customs ppl. In fact I suggest both you and Andec contact customs.

love

Freya
CinemanUK

Post by CinemanUK »

If one is importing goods into a Country which is not a member of the European Community from a Country which is within the European Community, I believe there is a need for a customs declaration (which is used internationally) to be afixed by the sender to the package which states, amongst other things, what is in the package and its value, who sent the package and to whom it was being sent.

I think importing film from Germany to Norway might well be subject to this requirement.

It is not clear from your posting whether this requirement was complied with, but if it was not then it is hardly surprising that the package was opened. If there was no declaration, and no indication on the package that it contained film, then customs officers in Norway would not know what was in the package, and would surely be acting entirely reasonably in opening the package to examine its contents. Once they found the film carton that would indicate that it was film and so they should have exercised caution in opening the carton of film itself. If they did not, you should be able to make a complaint and, in the event that the film was ruined, secure financial compensation.

Similarly, if the package was properly declared, then the customs officers should have been alerted to the fact that the package contained film and whilst they are arguably, even so, entitled to inspect the contents of the parcel to see that the declarion was accurate. If they did that recklessly, then you should be able to make a complaint to the customs service and, in the event that the film is ruined, secure financial compensation.

So the starting point is whether the film was ruined ...
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Isn't Norway a Schengen country? If so I think there should be no customs with the EU... Anyway this seems nosense.
superadio

Post by superadio »

Norway is non EU member, but member of Schengen. But that has no impact for custom. The limit of customs is about 20 Euro. So that means if parcel or letter not contains well described invoice, customs send me a letter asking for what it is. But if Andec just send as letter, they put a small green label, describing what it is, and value. It is in those cases customs opens it to check. But this is first time they have open film container. I take much films from Dwayne`s, but has never happened. I feel the whole problem has accured now, due to people dont know what film material is anymore. Its amazing how quick that has happen. I see om different auctions sites, where people keeps ask how many pixels, and memory there is on a camera, and this camera is an old film based one.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Was is 100' daylight load or 400' on a core?

If it was a daylight load and your camera isn't Super 16 you should be ok; although that doesn't take away from how much that sucks.

I haven't traveled internationally with film before due to a fear of that happening at customs although I know film goes through customs all the time without issues.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Was is 100' daylight load or 400' on a core?

He said it was in a plastic container, so I suppose it must be 100ft daylight load...
superadio

Post by superadio »

Sorry, yes its a 100ft daylight. Means is not as bad as if it was 400ft on core, which could be serious, and total damaged film.