The sound of Eumig projector 810 807

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kontrabass

The sound of Eumig projector 810 807

Post by kontrabass »

I have 3 super 8 projectors. They are Eumig 610D 807D and 810D

I had never projected sound film before. Today I got one sound film, which has a brown track on the side, but both 807 and 810 doesn't play the sound. 810 has some noise and the yellow light could swith on, but 807 is totally silend and no any light founction. I connected a external loudspeaker, but it doesn't work as well.

Any one can give me some suggestions? Is it easy to fix this problem?
BK

Re: The sound of Eumig projector 810 807

Post by BK »

Remove the cover for the lamp/drive mechanism, underneath the lamp you should see a slide switch on the soundhead assembly that has the letters in white N-S on it, check that it is on S for super 8 sound playback. N is for normal standard 8. Sometimes there is a bad contact on the switch as well due to oxidation, slide it back and forth a few time helps.

If you turn the volume up on the sound control and hear a hum from the speaker, it means the amplifier is good, if not it could be a blown fuse on the soundboard. You can check this by removing the back cover ( unplug from mains first! ) and it is easy to spot on the board.

A common fault is dead/faulty capacitors on the projector amplifier circuit board as they are quite old now.

If I remember correctly the yellow light is the trick superimposition indicator for recording sound on sound, and only useful in record mode,it has nothing to do with playback, or will affect the ability to playback audio. You can switch it off by turning it all the way to the left.

Good luck
Bill
kontrabass

Post by kontrabass »

Thanks for reply Bill :D

I checked the N-S Switch of 807, it is on S, and there is no hum from the speaker, so probabely the amplifier is dead. I will open it and check.

The 810, 24 fps doesn't work, and the room for the N-S switch is empty, and there is no extra standard 8 film gate to be stored on the top of the shell. however there is hum when I turn the value.

So now, I will go futher to check the sound system.

About the film, I have only one film with sound track, but it didn't say sound film or tonfilm, however there is a brown sound track. Maybe the problem is the film?
BK

Post by BK »

Try cleaning the rubber disc wheel drive just above the motor with methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol and see if it helps with the 24fps running problem, there is slippage due to age of that rubber disc surface. I've read some folks used very fine sand paper to keep theirs Eumigs running for a while more.

Is the soundhead assembly missing on the 810 without that N-S switch? The standard 8 gate is missing for sure from your description. Maybe there is no sound recorded on the stripe, see if you could find another sound film somewhere.

Bill
digicube

Post by digicube »

Is there a difference in the sound quality between a Eumig 807D and 810D?
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I believe the 810D HQS (High Quality Sound) had better specifications. I used to own one long ago and it had very good sound.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I used to own an 820HQS, and there was always some sort of hum or hiss from the loudspeaker when it was running, even with silent film. With the volume turned up you could hear it...and even with a silent film you'd hear "bumps" . With sound film, even if the soundtrack is blank (unrecorded) you should hear some tape hiss.

It sounds like the amp in your projector may be broken.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)