Alternatives To Plus-X

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Herb Montes

Alternatives To Plus-X

Post by Herb Montes »

What with the possibility of Plus-X being eliminated looming I'm looking for alternatives to 16mm black and white to shoot my animation. I have seen 16mm Orwo sold by Andec. Is there also a source for Ilford in 16mm? Has anyone in the states purchased from Andec before? A 400 foot supply of Orwo for $125 is not bad and that it can be processed in reversal is also good.
christoph

Re: Alternatives To Plus-X

Post by christoph »

wittner is probably a bit cheaper on orwo, looks around 95USD since you shouldnt need to pay german VAT:
http://wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/0 ... _filmm.php

if you need a bigger quantity, then contacting filmotec is probably the way to go. no idea if they do international shipping but they are really nice and the price should be even cheaper. maybe you can convince spectra or another US importer to stock up on orwo.

personally i always liked plus-x better then the orwo 54, but with kodak gone it might be the best alternative indeed.

++ christoph
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Why not stock up on Plus-X while you can still get it?
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Sadly there really is no replacement for 7231 Plus-X Neg. Orwo UN54 is a nice option, but its grainer. Ilford don't make any MP stocks at all these days. There is a russian stock made by Tasma in 35mm. Not sure what it would take to get some in 16mm - but it would be a massive quantity I am sure.
Foma is sort of a replacement for 7265 reversal, as long as you can process it yourself. You could get a large roll of BW fine grained interneg. This is a beautiful stock to shoot on if you can cope with 6 asa or so.
Otherwise, we are shot and have to use Double-X or colour.
bum
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au