PTC 1. The next step.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Clapton Pond

Re: PTC 1. The next step.

Post by Clapton Pond »

Nice to finally see this mythical beast. It's a fascinating mixture - little stories, home movies, cool arty fx...

Must admit, I especially liked the Redland section, the thief on a bike and vidwerk's segment.

But well done to all of you who made this happen.

ian

P.S. A soundtrack would be good. No pressure. I can wait... :)
https://www.slaughterback.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/slaughterbackfilms
https://www.gamine.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/gaminefilms
Angus

Post by Angus »

I'm wondering why mine is all at a strange angle. It must be something in how I shot it because the others are not. Apart from the fountain the shots were all composed on a tripod...strange!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
mojohey

Post by mojohey »

Watched the vimeo clip after a few beers this evening and really enjoyed it, there are some great moments in there. Set up the torrents to download as soon as Sparky emailed me the link, but neither have moved from 0%... anyway, a great 16 mins.

I guess now that the footage is out there, all that may come of it is lots of good k40 clips that will scatter the net and a story of a mythical project... but i'm sure that the 16 mins can be cut to a brilliant 9 or so... or it's maybe best left raw and the journey (the missing years included) that the films went through, are the story... maybe the project needs a naration and docu style intro to tell and show what it means... whatever that may be.

M.
----------------------------------------------
livio

Post by livio »

mojohey wrote:or it's maybe best left raw and the journey (the missing years included) that the films went through, are the story... maybe the project needs a naration and docu style intro to tell and show what it means... whatever that may be.
M.
Just for my fun I made some little cuts in the clip I shot, in the attempt of remove some imperfections, but I'll keep the revised clip only for me.
I do agree instead in leaving the whole movie as it is, just adding a narration about its story and its long journey(s), maybe in the form of a introductory text or in the form of voice off.
Perhaps it would be a good thing to add subtitles to tell each clip author's name and the venue where each clip was shot.
And I wouldn't put any music on it, I know, it's a different idea from the initial project, but such a long time is passed by and I think now the film has a slighty different story to tell than the one it had at the beginning.
L.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I think it would be worthwhile doing a bit of editing/grading as some of the clips have transferred rather dark- I guess an average setting was taken and if there's bright sky in shot the rest comes out too dark. Others are a bit underexposed and I don't see a problem trying to get it to look as good as it can- for example Livio- your final shot of the broken camera is very dark and blue- wouldn't that be better adjusted? I'm talking transfer effects mainly so don't see a problem adjusting a little. Mine for example is too dark I think in part 51- if you look at the end of 50 it is much lighter and better IMO. Also it was experimental and has turned out too fast and frenetic- would look better slowed down I think. There's also been a few shot at 24, others at 18fps- wouldn't it be better to adjust for that? Also, there's a long very dark part of Tlatosmd that I think must have been accidental- wouldn't that be better cut a bit? Quite a few of the clips are a bit dark- Redland is dark in places and a couple of Jusestans shots are dark and blue- they don't match the beauty of his other shots.

For some reason my quicktime is refusing to open the clips all of a sudden- gives error -2048- doesn't recognise file !! :-( It's the latest QT too, and was working before. I did delete all the resource fork files as I kept mistakenly trying to open them, but then I re-instated them- could that have caused the problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled QT but no joy
livio

Post by livio »

Sparky wrote: I'm talking transfer effects mainly so don't see a problem adjusting a little.
yes, in this I agree with you.
Sparky wrote:There's also been a few shot at 24, others at 18fps- wouldn't it be better to adjust for that?
mmh, here I must say that I don't agree that much with you... When we decided the rules for PTC1, we said "30 sec at 24 fps", and I think that it should be screened that way.
Sparky wrote:I think must have been accidental- wouldn't that be better cut a bit?
I think also that what's accidental should be kept, it is the beuty of camera editing!
Sparky wrote: Quite a few of the clips are a bit dark- Redland is dark in places and a couple of Jusestans shots are dark and blue
here again I agree with you: transfer can't match exactly the original footage colors, and what is "low key" on film, can just result "dark" and unreadable black on the transfer. A bit of color correction should be done.

Seems that nobody is downloading the HD torrent anymore: anybody succeded in downloading everything?

bye livio
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Ive just watched the Vimeo video. What an impressive collection of works. The 'red theme' and bike thief were hilarious.

Finally, I get to see my bush fire footage. I was really pleased at how the smoke turned out - certainly visible and quite menacing in some parts. I was worried that it might turn out a bit faint.

Though what really surprised me was how much of the scene was cut off at the bottom. I am sure that on some of those shots, I composed the viewfinder frame with a decent amount of landscape lower down. On some shots, all I see is a tiny bit of bush sticking out at the bottom. Was the transfer done with a Workprinter? I know that Workprinters / Snipers come standard with an enlarged gate. I would be curious to know if there is more visual information at the bottom of the frame.
aj

Post by aj »

If you read back you will notice that it was transfered by Kent of Uppsala BildTeknik using a Flashscan.
Kind regards,

André
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

A little bit of the image is cut off to avoid getting ugly framelines in the images. There is definetly not "a lot" that is cut off, but due to all reels being shot with different cameras (that all expose different size images on the filmstrip) perhaps the first reels were exposed with a camera that leaves thicker framelines and adjusting the transfer to this reel lead to the transfer being a little bit more "zoomed in" on the filmstrip?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:perhaps the first reels were exposed with a camera that leaves thicker framelines and adjusting the transfer to this reel lead to the transfer being a little bit more "zoomed in" on the filmstrip?
Yea, that sounds likely.