Expired Kodachrome from 1987

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

SKJ

Expired Kodachrome from 1987

Post by SKJ »

I have several rolls of Kodachrome 40 dated 1987. I shot one roll as a test in daylight, and it came back very faded. Can anyone recommend adjustments to make or techniques for shooting these remaining rolls with some interesting results? I'm not expecting them to look like fresh K40 but what will filtration or changing the exposure do?

Thanks!

Stephen Kent Jusick
aj

Re: Expired Kodachrome from 1987

Post by aj »

That old depends on storage. I have exposed 1985 K40 films without any noticeable deviations. :)

K40 usualy goes lighter and magenta when overage or stored in warm environment for too long. When really bad it goes really faint magenta. :(
Kind regards,

André
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

I recently shot some 1984 Kodachrome.

The result was very magenta, faded & lacking in contrast, but some colour information was still clearly present.

When transferred and corrected it looked really pretty good though.
StoneBuilder

Post by StoneBuilder »

It's very hit and miss - but something always comes out. It may be near to black and white only - Sell By 1978 - for instance, but I've yet to see this Magenta shift. Washed out is the most common aberration. The word has got round that Kodachrome processing is finishing and there's a rush of it appearing on UK eBay at the moment. Speculation in filmstock!
BK

Post by BK »

Expired films tend to lose speed so increase the exposure say half a stop. Filtration won't help much, but it can be tweaked digitally if you have it
transfered to get some interesting colours.

Found this clip, filmed with 16 year old K40:

http://revver.com/video/269018/melbourn ... -8mm-film/

Bill