For your consideration

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Actor

For your consideration

Post by Actor »

The Dark Knight?

"For your consideration" ads touting TDK for best picture are on the web. OK, I can see at least a best supporting nomination for Heath Ledger as the Joker, but best picture for TDK? I guess it could happen. In 1953 The Greatest Show On Earth beat out High Noon and The Quiet Man for best pic.

If TDK wins, or gets nominated, it will put the final stamp of legitimacy on the superhero flick, but at the same time it will give more ammunition to critics who point out that the Oscar's are just a popularity contest, Hollywood patting itself on the back. The thing is, the critics are right. It's too bad that the Oscars are seen as the ultimate prize in filmmaking. It's too bad that there's not another prize, based on artistic merit rather than popularity, with the same status as Oscar.

I'm not bashing TDK. I think it's a great flick, very well made, and entertaining. It's just not the kind of movie I associate with Oscar. It's not in the same league as Casablanca, The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Patton,... On the other hand, what else has come out, or will come out, this year that is? Australia? Valerie?. That's another problem with Oscar. Some years the prize should be given to "none of the above."

My two cents.
Jim Carlile

Re: For your consideration

Post by Jim Carlile »

Milk.

I'd put money on it.
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

Comparing contemporary Oscar nominees/winners with winners from different times/eras is kind of pointless. Certain times creates certain subject matter, themes, structures, etc. (escapism films seem to be the big trend of the last 8 years or so). Just because the Dark Knight is a superhero film, with major box office grossings, shouldn't mean it isn't Oscar worthy. It's top-notch filmmaking.

Sometimes hype is justifiable.

However, your comment about the Oscars just being a popularity contest; I don't completely agree with that. The Grammy's is a popularity contest, to be sure ... but, just look at last years Best Picture, and many of the runners up. No Country for Old Men wasn't even close to a box office success initially (not until it garnered wide critical praise, it started trickling into some of the smaller markets). Same with There Will Be Blood and a bunch of others.

I do agree, though, that there should be more ways of evaluating and rewarding films and filmmakers who don't fit into the slick, highly funded Academy mold. And not just the one obligatory "little film that could" that they nominate each year.

Anyway, my personal picks:

Synecdoche, New York (Kaufman; my favorite contemporary screenwriter, for sure. Hoffman for best actor; Jon Brion for Best Original Music. Probably a bit too inaccessible for a Best Picture nod, though.)

Milk (good call, Jim)

Slumdog Millionaire (this will win best Foreign film)

Visioneers (won't win anything, but I friggin' loved it)
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

Milk seems like a sentimental favorite, (ah hem, nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean..? )

I haven't seen it, but I hear there's a fabulous recreation of his camera store in S.F. on Castro St., total 1977 detail, super 8 boxes, vintage perfect, everything.