Just wanted to share my latest...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

adamgarner

Just wanted to share my latest...

Post by adamgarner »

I wanted to share my latest project with everyone here. I shot this entirely on super 8 (duh) with my Canon 1014XL-S. Film used : Tri-X, and Vision 200 and 500T. I went through just about 4 carts.

Would love any comments, or future pointers! I feel pretty accomplished after doing this though. I've never shot a music video, nor have I shot a short completely on film. I have to say I owe SO much of what I knew to this forum.

I had this developed and transferred at Pro8. I used their Millenium HD scanner. LOVE it.

http://www.vimeo.com/1043748

(you can download the source .mov as well, towards the bottom. That's awesome if you want to see the film grain the HD scanner gives.)
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
amoviebyjeff

Re: Just wanted to share my latest...

Post by amoviebyjeff »

Wow, that looks phenomenal. I can't believe its super 8. Loved the editing as well.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Nice work! I especially liked the outdoor and indoor colour shots. Those negative stocks look amazing!
CelluloidDisco

Post by CelluloidDisco »

Diggin the jackets!
Raz B

Post by Raz B »

I've downloaded the mov file - freaking AWESOME!!!! :D
You did a great job! and the super8mm HD footage rocks!

Thank you for sharing!
Raz.
paul

Post by paul »

Cool! Good video. Did you letterbox it to widescreen?

Paul
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

amoviebyjeff wrote:Wow, that looks phenomenal. I can't believe its super 8. Loved the editing as well.
I know, right? Using a great camera, and getting a great telecine has provided results that really look like super 16. Thanks for the kind words on the editing, though I have to admit, most of the editing was done storyboarding this out, in my head. We had SUCH little time and budget to work with, all the work was done before the work was done if you know what I mean.
Patrick wrote:Nice work! I especially liked the outdoor and indoor colour shots. Those negative stocks look amazing!
I think the Vision 2 stock is really great. Getting it color corrected while transferring has produced some really professional looks for me. I'm sort of amazed that I didn't use any lighting in the market, except for the florescent and natural light from the windows. The balance is pretty spectacular, even on the backlit shots. I mean, the backlighting was pretty bad in the entry shot.
CelluloidDisco wrote:Diggin the jackets!
American Apparel.
paul wrote:Cool! Good video. Did you letterbox it to widescreen?
Paul
I cropped at transfer. I have enough going on on set to handle an anamorphic rig. I simply have the transfer house transfer the middle 16:9 image. When I shoot I make sure to keep the shots in line with a 16:9 frame. I have to do a lot of guesswork since I don't have markings for 16:9. There are actually points on the right side of the Canon 1014XL-S viewfinder to mark the start and end of a cart. These happen to be placed pretty close to 16:9 so I used them as a guide. I found I ended up with a few shots that had too much headroom for my taste, but I was being over cautions... Next time I'll be more loose.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Love it!

My only complaint - It's too short!

The bit where the little girl is pushed away from the chiller cabinet is classic.

If this is your first attempt at a Pop Promo I think you've got quite a future ahead.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Awesome - I love it! Downloading a copy to my computer too as I write this, this is now my benchmark for getting a great transfer. I've never been able to show anyone how great super 8 looks projected before now without actually projecting it, now I can.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Exactly! Everyone always says, "Super 8?... that's like all scratchy and muddy and sucks." I've been able to corner a handful of people and project footage, and they're blown away. With HD scanning, I mean, it's pretty damn close!

Maybe with good cameras and HD scans more people will get the "bug" to shoot real film. Who knows...
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Videogriff

Post by Videogriff »

I had trouble viewing it through the site. Still I was really impressed with the quality of your work. Very nice.

The color is what really impressed me. Did you have the colorist really sweeten the image for you in the transfer? It looks great!

What did you edit on? Did you do much color correction in post?

Nice piece, thanks
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Thanks Videogriff. If you had trouble on vimeo, try it from my website. It's linked from the reel page, and it's encoded h.264, which is very nice. (trigger-studios.com)

I don't have them "sweeten" the color at all. These are just true to life uncompressed colors from Vision 2. Actually, they are 4:2:2 color compressed but they are scanned in at 4:4:4. I think it makes a huge difference. Those red jackets really "pop."

Editing is all done on Final Cut 6.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
downix

Post by downix »

You had it done at Pro8? The quality is great. Never really looked at their telecine service, honestly.
Aaron_M

Post by Aaron_M »

That looks really great. Did you use any supplemental lighting in the outdoor scenes or was it all just natural daylight?

Thanks,

Aaron
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

No supplemental lighting outdoors whatsoever. I just make sure the sun hitting their faces as best I could.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com