Fomapan R reg 8mm development labs?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mjclash

Fomapan R reg 8mm development labs?

Post by mjclash »

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I can get Fomapan B/W 8mm film developed?

Cheers!
Jim Carlile

Re: Fomapan R reg 8mm development labs?

Post by Jim Carlile »

This place says they can do it.

http://www.blackandwhitefilmfactory.com/super_8.htm

I think Frank Bruinsma can do it too.
standard8

Post by standard8 »

most labs that process b&w reversal will process Fomapan (i usually use Andec in Germany) however they generally use kodak chemistry rather than the "official" fomapan.
http://www.standard8.org - Resources for the Standard/Double/Normal 8 Filmmaker
eightmm

Post by eightmm »

I can recommend the Super8 lab (Frank Bruinsma) in Holland for developing. He's taking well care after your material.

Regards, Paul
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I was under the impression that there was more than just using the old Kodak chemistry involved... something about removing a layer of material... can't quite remember.

I had a lab in LA process Foma for me once after saying they could do it and it came back horrible, so you should make sure they've actually worked with it before.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

most labs that process b&w reversal will process Fomapan
Not true, at least here in the USA. Most labs have sworn off processing Fomapan. It tends to ruin their chemicals from what I have been told by at least two different labs. I understand that using the actual Fomapan process produces good results, but I have no actual experience with it.

David M. Leugers
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

Yale in Los Angeles will do it, though they let you know up front that there could be problems. They told me that they process Fomapan at the end of the day's run, and add an extra dose of "X" (sorry! forgot what exactly they do add :) ) to the chemicals to reduce the possibility of problems.

They've processed a couple of reels of Fomapan for me and, in spite of their caveat, they've come out fine.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Yale in Los Angeles will do it, though they let you know up front that there could be problems.
That's interesting and good news. Some years back I was told by someone working there that they were not doing Fomapan. Their policy to only run it at the end is a good one.

David M. Leugers