Super8 shooting projected Super8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

timhan

Super8 shooting projected Super8

Post by timhan »

Hi all!
Has anyone got any examples of what happens when you shoot Super 8 at a projected Super 8 film?

Is it the same as shooting the TV, would I get odd looking vertical bars? What about if I project the film at 18fps, and shoot it at 24fps?

Thanks for the info!
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

If you use a newer XL camera with a wide shutter angle, like 220 degrees or so as opposed to the conventional 160, the longer exposure time glides over the frame changes, so it comes out fine. I've never had strobing for this reason.

In fact, this is a cheap and easy way to make duplicates. They're not exact, but they work. The only thing that might happen is that it may be a little dimmer than the original. But that can be worked around by shooting a smaller, brighter projected image.

You won't get bars with an XL camera when you shoot the TV. Same reason.

I've never done this at 24fps, but I suspect there might be more of a problem, because of the shorter exposure time per camera frame.
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I think Mike Nyberg was talking about doing this very thing. Projecting at 24fps and shooting the copy at 18fps. No bars/flicker. I think on Onsuper8.org there's an example of someone who build and optical copier. You can also just use one of those cheap Ambico film to video boxes to do this. You could even set up some type of frame by frame projection and camera system to make frame for frame copies. I think I saw that online somewhere once. I'd like to try it myself sometime. Seems like you could use a workprinter and a camera w/ an electrical single frame relase to do this. Or perhaps a solinoid to activate the manual trigger. Certianly no shortage of fun experiments in super 8!
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.