dual gague projector for telecine ideas?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

dual gague projector for telecine ideas?

Post by Angus »

Hey guys.

Last week I telecinied (or at least attepmted to) several hours of super 8 material I've shot over the last few years for our anniversary bash.

I've found the Fujicascope M36 projector I've been using is no longer holding anything like a constant speed. Its also giving a jumpy picture akin to jitter.

The M36 is a 400' silent dual gague (std 8, super 8 ) projector with constantly variable speed.

Can anyone reccomend a specific model I should look for in replacing this? I would strongly prefer a dual gague projector as I do shoot a bit of std 8 too.

Also, when I manage to replace the M36, if anyone wants it I'm prepared to give it to a good home....you can still watch films on it and I do not believe it is damaging film at all...its just not quite up to scratch for relatively serious work.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

you may look into the S8/R8 RUSS / PYCB projector - it goes stepless from 0 to insane fps and is pretty consistent and easy to adjust/set as soon as it heats up.

RUSS for you ;)

shoot....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
cinecymru

Post by cinecymru »

I did use the Sankyo Dualux 2000H for many years as a workhorse for transfer of R8 and S8 footage.
I was informed that one UK transfer company had fifteen of these machines!

I used it with an aerial image mirror and condenser lens system, which then required an opal diffuser glass mounted in front of the lamp - an A1/230 12v 75watt.

A great machine still readily available (on ebay UK) in two versions (1000 which uses the 8v 50watt lamp) or the more useful 2000H which uses the 12volt dichroic type lamps.
ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

Consider Eumig 610D ....Superbly constructed....dual gauge...variable speed...great lens..perfect for telecine setup..

See em regularly on European ebay sites (UK and German)...and occasionally on US ebay

They do seem to fetch good prices in Europe..cos folk now know how good they are for 'serious' work :D

I have 2 and I get fantastic results for a home telecine setup.
The Swede

Post by The Swede »

Elmo K100 is perfect.
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I use two Eumig Mark S 709 dual 8 sound projectors. I highly recomend any of the Eumig 700,800,900 series sound projectors for four major reasons: One, sound projectors having a sound flywheel run at far more stable speeds. Two Eumig's dual gauge system uses removable gates which are easy to clean, maintain, and best of all modify for full frame viewing. (The sproket drives also change out for exact matching to each formats perfs.) Three, they have a slider speed adjustment which is very easy to set to 20FPS (USA) to completely eliminate flicker. Four, the bulbs are super common and readily avaliable in any hardware store. Plus beter than that you can find any wattage down to 10w that can fit into the bulb socket. I just replaced mine w/ a 35w to experiment with. They're seriously overbuilt and will last a long time.

The Bauer T-183 is another good projector for this purpose. Also the Elmo ST-180-E which is probably one of the most popular projectors for telecine use as it's computer controlled and there's a potentiometer internally that can be very easily adjusted to controll speeds to eliminate flicker.

Cheers,
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Do the Eumig Mark s projectors have constantly variable speed?

Thanks for all the responses guys :)
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Angus wrote:Do the Eumig Mark s projectors have constantly variable speed?

See my post reason #3 above :lol:
James E. Stubbs
James E

Post by James E »

See my post reason #3 above :lol: 18-24fps constantly varible
James E. Stubbs
Angus

Post by Angus »

James E wrote:

Do they go below 18 and aboved 24? I'd need 16 2/3 and 25 for PAL transfers.
James E

Post by James E »

Angus wrote:
James E wrote:

Do they go below 18 and aboved 24? I'd need 16 2/3 and 25 for PAL transfers.
Not the one's I have. They're US models. I don't know about EU models. You might check http://www.super8wiki.com under the projector section and see.
Cheers,
James E. Stubbs