Vision 3 in super 8!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rick Palidwor

Vision 3 in super 8!

Post by Rick Palidwor »

I went to a Kodak product launch tonight for Vision 3 500T. Two tests, one shot on super 16 and the other shot on super 35 were shown (on standard 35mm prints). Impressive stock. More shadow detail without increased grain and two more stops latitude in the highlights.

Anyway, the Kodak rep said 16 and 35 are coming out now, 65 and super 8 on the way!!! I didn't stick around for the Q&A to ask about a release date for super 8 but from what she said it is definitely in the cards.

We should lobby so they don't renege.

Rick
Jon

Post by Jon »

I Talked to a cris russo from kodak she said super 8 Vision 3
will be out some time at the first of the year
Jon
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Jon wrote:I Talked to a cris russo from kodak she said super 8 Vision 3
will be out some time at the first of the year
Jon
Are they only doing V3 in ISO 500, or are they going to give us all the other speeds as well?

All I've heard about is the V3 500T stock. It seems strange that Kodak would only release its next-generation filmstock in just one speed while leaving the majority of the Vision2 line intact.

Needless to say, I will be picking up a couple carts of V3 when it hits.
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

cubdukat wrote:Are they only doing V3 in ISO 500, or are they going to give us all the other speeds as well?
Someone asked this and they said they'd be rolling out more stocks (as you'd expect) but they would not commit to which would be next at this time. Be patient my friend.
Rick
alex-rus

Re: Vision 3 in super 8!

Post by alex-rus »

Rick Palidwor wrote:I went to a Kodak product launch tonight for Vision 3 500T. Two tests, one shot on super 16 and the other shot on super 35 were shown (on standard 35mm prints). Impressive stock. More shadow detail without increased grain and two more stops latitude in the highlights.

Anyway, the Kodak rep said 16 and 35 are coming out now, 65 and super 8 on the way!!! I didn't stick around for the Q&A to ask about a release date for super 8 but from what she said it is definitely in the cards.

We should lobby so they don't renege.

Rick
Vision 3 requires process ECN-2, as well as Vision 2? :?:

Best regards
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
Will2

Post by Will2 »

cubdukat wrote:All I've heard about is the V3 500T stock. It seems strange that Kodak would only release its next-generation filmstock in just one speed while leaving the majority of the Vision2 line intact.
500T is the majority of the Vision2 line... it out sells everything else combined.

It will be just like Vision2... First 500T, then 100 or 200 then maybe a 250D... the last being 50D.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Hopefully this Vison 3 500T will repeat V2 over V1 and be almost finer grain than V2 200T. Then maybe we could swap the 200T for an all out high resolve V3 50D someday?
100D and Vision 3 please
Angus

Post by Angus »

Its all good news. Though I am a *very* occasional user of neg film, an updated emulsion is always a positive step.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
mattias

Post by mattias »

actually more latitude without increased grain is a way of saying that the grain hasn't been reduced at all. :-)

/matt
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Will2 wrote:
cubdukat wrote:All I've heard about is the V3 500T stock. It seems strange that Kodak would only release its next-generation filmstock in just one speed while leaving the majority of the Vision2 line intact.
500T is the majority of the Vision2 line... it out sells everything else combined.

It will be just like Vision2... First 500T, then 100 or 200 then maybe a 250D... the last being 50D.
I did not know that.

For some bizzare reason, Central Camera here in Chicago only carried the V2 200T, but then they replaced it with V200T, ad now they don't have either one. After I get through this roll of Reala I just ordered from Pro8mm, V2 500T is next on my list.
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I was speaking of the larger 35mm market...500T is pretty much the only stock many DP's use. I'm not sure of the Super 8 Market but I'd guess 200T is used more than 500T due to compatibility and grain issues.
HTTK

Post by HTTK »

A new stock in S8! Always great news! :) Thanks for keeping us informed.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

That's great news. Thanx Rick for the info.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Well here it is, looks like it's already available in 100ft 16mm spools, double perf even. Maybe a Jan release for S8 is possible?
http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat ... 0307_Q.pdf
100D and Vision 3 please
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

100D and Vision 3 please