processing double x negative as reversal

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

danzyc

processing double x negative as reversal

Post by danzyc »

any advice? i should rate the film at 100 asa?

thanks
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

According to "Independent Film Making" by Lenny Lipton, processing negative film as reversal doubles the speed of the film, but one should consult Kodak and your lab first. I have not done this with Double-X, but I have shot a fair amount of Plus-X negative and had it processed as reversal and the effective speed was not doubled. Best to do a test i do believe. Last rolls of Plus-X negative I had processed as reversal I think I exposed at 100 ASA and it came out fine.

David M. Leugers
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Ok. I am curious. Since reversal black and white films are easily available, why process b/w negative film as reversal? What is the advantage?

John S.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

A while back, a friend of mine used to get AGFA silvertone 100 crossed as positive for me. Looked awesome. I think it was scala processing, because when scala went, so did that option.

vidwerk.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

mr8mm wrote:Ok. I am curious. Since reversal black and white films are easily available, why process b/w negative film as reversal? What is the advantage?

John S.
I guess the explanation there is that negative black and white has a lower inherent gamma compared to reversal bw. Processing as reversal will increase the gamma, but it would still be less than that of a reversal stock. The resultant gamma would thus be less than the normal 'projection gamma' of reversal film or prints. This would tranfer better. But neg would tranfer better still ... or would it? From a gamma point of view yes, but from a scratch and dust point of view no.
my two cents.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Ok. I am curious. Since reversal black and white films are easily available, why process b/w negative film as reversal? What is the advantage?
Not much as I see it, I just happened to obtain a fairly large supply of negative 16mm B+W film and unless I am going to make a film print of it, processing it as reversal makes more sense because I can project it and inter cut it with reversal film. It does give you a different look. Plus-X negative processed as reversal has a different look than Plus-X reversal... If going to transfer, shooting B+W negative developed normally has some nice attributes.

David M. Leugers
clivetobin

Re: processing double x negative as reversal

Post by clivetobin »

danzyc wrote:any advice? i should rate the film at 100 asa?
thanks
Bad idea:
1. Will come out very flat (low contrast) and dense (dark.)
2. Will not bleach properly unless bleach time is extended. Otherwise you will just have poor quality black leader.
3. Will not dry properly unless dry time or temperature is extended. Otherwise you will have 100' of flypaper whose layers will stick together on the reel as if glued together.
4. If run through a high temperature process sequence, which is safe for reversal as Kodak reversal films are hardened, the emulsion will wash off as it is only made for room temperature baths.

At least this is my experience in the past.