Where is the expiration date?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

adamkat22

Where is the expiration date?

Post by adamkat22 »

maybe i'm a total idiot, but i wanted to put some extra e64 on ebay but i don't know where the expiration date is stamped on the box..or how to decipher it if it is there?
thanks
adam
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

I don't think it's there anymore, maybe something to do with the fact that super 8 is a professional product now. The latest Tri-X I ordered doesn't have an obvious expiration and neither did the 7217 I shot in June.
aj

Post by aj »

Isn't the productiondate stamped on like on Tri-X. Three digit, two for weeknumber and one digit for year lasts digit.
Kind regards,

André
Ektagraphic

Re: wheres the expiration date?

Post by Ektagraphic »

Which three digits in the whole set of numbers is this?
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

You can call Kodak anytime and give them the number on the box and they can tell you when it was manufactured.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

I tried that the other day and got a response of them telling me that isn't possible. I'll have to call and hope to get someone else. The woman I spoke to said that the information is secret. ooooooo a secret 8)
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Ektagraphic wrote:I tried that the other day and got a response of them telling me that isn't possible. I'll have to call and hope to get someone else. The woman I spoke to said that the information is secret. ooooooo a secret 8)
Weird...I've gotten that info a bunch of times but it's been over a year since the last time I tried. Sorry!

Maybe they do that on Super 8 film to prevent you from trying to return it to stores because it's "too old." Probably a request from their vendors since the film probably sits on shelves for years.
aj

Post by aj »

Will2 wrote: Maybe they do that on Super 8 film to prevent you from trying to return it to stores because it's "too old." Probably a request from their vendors since the film probably sits on shelves for years.
It has never been otherwise with these types of film. In the past 100-s of kilometers were sold per year.
Kodachrome had dates on them. Odd enough these held up better then others.
Kind regards,

André
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak no longer uses the expiration date. However the emulsion number is stamped on the side of the box. The emulsion number follows the the type of, 7266,7285,etc, For example E100D would be 7285 201 ????????????. The 201 is the wide roll the film was cut from the numbers following 201 are the numbers of the cut. 201 is the current emulsion. That emulsion expires in December 2012(that fact is secret and they won't tell if you ask). The new emulsion would be 202 assuming Kodak makes new emulsion and doesn't cancel E100D.

The last E64T was 318. So, the number would read 7280 318 xxx xxxx. If your film is much less than 7280 318 then the film is old.

tri-X is 7266 165 xxxxxxx. So, 165 is latest emulsion.

J.S.