Unexposed Kodachrome 40

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rich2000

Unexposed Kodachrome 40

Post by Rich2000 »

Hi All,

I've found an unexposed cartridge of Super 8 Kodachrome 40 - Type A in my Father's photographic draw.

The film expired 2/1980. It has been kept in this draw, away from both sources of immediate heat and light and is still in its foil wrapper. I live in the Uk, so it's not been subject to high humidity extremes either.

My question is; Will I be able to use this, where can I get it developed and what will the results be. I wanted to film some steam trains on film to give it that "old look", so if it comes back a little off colour then that's ok.

Thanks

Rich
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Try it and see. If the cartridge doesn't jam in you camera, send it in to Dwayne's for processing; you'll probably get a recognizable image, though the color and exposure may not be ideal. It will certainly look old-time, though.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Most likely it will come out, I've shot quite a few rolls of old Kodachrome and been happy with the results although it is getting old! Soon I'll be out of Kodachrome and start using my Quartzchrome Super 8 carts!

Here are three examples... the first is 1970 dated film and is pushing it, I mean reaching the limit of it's useful life (in my experience). I've uploaded an uncorrected movie to show how faded it gets.. it's 8mm not super 8 Bebo's Funeral and home telecined.

Also 8mm but early 80's film stock, and colour corrected with quick time pro, Cappuccino Mania and Ricketts Quadrangle Opening

Gianni 8)
Angus

Post by Angus »

A shame you didn't find it last year, you could have processed it effectively for free.

I'd still be tempted to give it a go, and send to Dwaynes for them to do their $9 worth of magic.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Rich2000

Post by Rich2000 »

Thanks guys.

I've never shot any cine before and I am looking forward to this little experiment like a big kid! I usually shoot MiniDV and have progressed to HDV. Fantastic in it's own right, but just something about film :D I'll need some advice for filming using cine. I'm not sure what camera my Dad has, but I definitely know it's a Eumig sound of some description.

Processed for free???? Did Kodak still accept them until last year then? Damn, just my luck. I had found the film nearly 8 years ago, but things conspired and I haven't taken any more interest in cine till someone mentioned home telecine to transfer films to DVD before it's too late.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Got these "frame grabs" of three rolls of my outdated Kodachrome that arrived yesterday, back from Dwaynes in Kansas. I forgot to ask, but I'm happy that they returned my two 8mm reels and cans without my asking. Two on the left are 1973 and 1979 K40A 8mm, the one on the right is 1983 K40A.

One 8mm was just an entire roll of exposure tests in midday daylight without filter. Initial observations suggest normal or one stop overexposure is ok, and that with age the film becomes more forgiving, that means a bit more exposure lattitude. It really lacks contrast, is faded, and colours are off. In the post, after my instant telecine, it needs increase contrast and darkening (less brightness) to increase blacks and shadows.

Gianni 8)