Super-8 Cities Amsterdam & Barcelona highest rated on 4D

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

npcoombs

Super-8 Cities Amsterdam & Barcelona highest rated on 4D

Post by npcoombs »

http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/

Doing well - scroll to the bottom of the page!

Leave good ratings and reviews if you like the films. It only takes a few minutes to register with the site.
Mitch Perkins

Re: Super-8 Cities Amsterdam & Barcelona highest rated o

Post by Mitch Perkins »

npcoombs wrote:http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/

Leave good ratings and reviews if you like the films. It only takes a few minutes to register with the site.
This is fine work you're doing, promoting not only the use of a widely underrated yet beautiful format, but also inter-cultural appreciation - the love folks have for their hometown. Great idea.

Mitch
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

I think this is a very cool project. However, the website has a pop up that wants you to participate in a survey and doesn't really give you the option to say no. It eventually closes by itself but if someone is in a hurry they might think there is no way around the pop up and just abandon the effort to watch the films. I waited and eventually the pop up went away but when I tried to play the films, it kept crashing my browser. I tried it on two computers with both Netscape and Explorer.

Roger
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

MovieStuff wrote:I think this is a very cool project. However, the website has a pop up that wants you to participate in a survey and doesn't really give you the option to say no. It eventually closes by itself but if someone is in a hurry they might think there is no way around the pop up and just abandon the effort to watch the films. I waited and eventually the pop up went away but when I tried to play the films, it kept crashing my browser. I tried it on two computers with both Netscape and Explorer.
Click the X in the top-right corner of any survey popup to make it vanish.

As for the crashing, well their site is bug ridden with dubious cross-browser and cross-plaform credentials. Just try uploading stuff!
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

MovieStuff wrote:I think this is a very cool project. However, the website has a pop up that wants you to participate in a survey and doesn't really give you the option to say no. It eventually closes by itself but if someone is in a hurry they might think there is no way around the pop up and just abandon the effort to watch the films. I waited and eventually the pop up went away but when I tried to play the films, it kept crashing my browser. I tried it on two computers with both Netscape and Explorer.

Roger
The best way to play them is to copy the url of the file (the MMS:// link) and paste it into windows media player or equivalent. It's a pain in the ass, I know, but worth it. Too bad they are all shortened versions..
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

npcoombs wrote: Click the X in the top-right corner of any survey popup to make it vanish.
You can't because there is a pop up banner ad to the right that covers the X and makes it inaccessible.

Roger
Lunar07

Re: Super-8 Cities Amsterdam & Barcelona highest rated o

Post by Lunar07 »

npcoombs wrote:http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/

The Barcelona and Paradise pieces are truly brilliant. Paradise is my favorite so far.
What makes it even better is that they are shot on Super8.
When something is well made, that distinction between 'home movie look and Super8 as amateur format' and the 'pro look' ends up being completely nonsensical.
Moviestuff wrote: However, the website has a pop up that wants you to participate in a survey and doesn't really give you the option to say no.
I never got the pop up - not now, not before! I may have a pop up blocker??!!?? Too lazy to check :-D
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

Is Paradise supposed to be intentionally hilarious? "...I get the finger because some arsehole is cycling against traffic and I cross his path." Brilliant delivery.. .
Last edited by freddiesykes on Wed May 23, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
aj

Post by aj »

freddiesykes wrote:Is Paradise supposed to be intentionally hilarious? "...I get the finger because some arsehole is cycling against traffic and I cross is path." Brilliant delivery.. .

Well, some think this a nice folklore in a big city. Look how cool and full of disrespect we are it seems the 'thought'.

It is quite common for Amsterdam to advertise with red-light district prostitution, getting drunk or a drugs scene etc. Criminal and bad conduct is OK. Even the touristboard is on that track. Come and enjoy :)
Kind regards,

André