Clips - 100D vs 7240 vs. 160G vs Fuji 64T vs. Kodak 64T!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

Clips - 100D vs 7240 vs. 160G vs Fuji 64T vs. Kodak 64T!

Post by CHAS »

Ok, I have some more clips to share...it's all for the same movie but the main stuff is the 7240 which was telecined at Spectra but put through the "Soylent Green" filter. That is to say, I had the colorist deliberately tint it slightly -- reflecting the protagonist's decaying state of mind. Kind of weird. Anyway, the 100D and other stocks were underexposed too much. I was working quickly with these stocks doing b-roll stuff and must have not opened the aperature up enough. But that's going to work out ok since the main parts of the film were exposed correctly.

http://westsiderfilm.com/clips.html
alexfan90

Post by alexfan90 »

The velvia looks great. But after some color correction I bet all of the footage will look much better.
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

I was wondering why the clips sometimes looked different than the thumbnail images.

I finally got the chance to see all of the stocks, and I have to say I was completely amazed at how well the older stocks held up, especially the E160G. It's always had a sick-looking tint to it, but even so the colors were pretty good for a 21 year-old stock.

Even if the E100D was underexposed, it was still beautiful. I loved the strong color.

I even liked the E64T footage. That's the best I've ever seen it look. I don't know what you did, but you must share the secret :)

I think overall my favorites would definitely have to be the two Fuji stocks and the E100D. The F64T especially had some really excellent color. I don't recall Fuji ever looking that saturated. Did you have to buy the full 24-roll minimum from Pro8mm?

I definitely can't wait to see the finished movie.
charles8

Post by charles8 »

:D I am about to use some V50 or Velvia whichever you prefer to call it, and would like any advise on this new emulsion, is it best to use any kind of filters, manual exposure or automatic, will my Nizo 6056 read the film correctly, thanks for any help..[/img]
switar king

Post by switar king »

What kind of movie is this? Except for the clips with the girls, all the clips show 1 guy, either smoking or looking around. Is there any interaction with other people? Is there any action, any dialog? What is the storyline, I wonder?
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

switar king wrote:What kind of movie is this? Except for the clips with the girls, all the clips show 1 guy, either smoking or looking around. Is there any interaction with other people? Is there any action, any dialog? What is the storyline, I wonder?
Switar King,
in my previous posting for the Velvia I spoke about the film and in my signature, I list a direct link to the website which explains what the film is about in detail.
CHAS
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

charles8 wrote::D I am about to use some V50 or Velvia whichever you prefer to call it, and would like any advise on this new emulsion, is it best to use any kind of filters, manual exposure or automatic, will my Nizo 6056 read the film correctly, thanks for any help..[/img]
I think it's notched for K40, not sure -- I used an external light meter for all exposures. even then I think I had it incorrectly exposed -- the colorist at Spectra told me to open it up by half a stop more than what the light meter read, maybe more. I'm pissed about how the 100D came out -- I think it would have looked much better if it was open more. Anyway, I would seriously shoot a test roll if I were you and do some bracketing, try it automatic for some shots to see how accurate your camera's internal metering is. Can you test a roll before you do a full shoot? As for filters, we used an ND filter for some shots like the scene where he is running on the green and walking in front of the towers.
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

I spoke to Spectra around the time they first started selling it, and they said that the carts were notched like K40, which already gives you that 1/3 stop of overexposure that helps it out with fleshtones.

You really shouldn't need any filters for filming in plain daylight since the film's already balanced for it. If you're looking to film under movie lights, though, you definitely don't want to be using it on auto, since the speed drops seriously; you'd probably want to go to E64T, or maybe even to one of the negative stocks.

I daresay you could more or less slap it in and go to town with no major hassles. It's definitely a much more suitable replacement for K40 that E64T is.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

There are some people who use an 81B warm up filter when shooting Fuji Velvia in late afternoon light to accentuate the warmness of the light. Personally, I think this can sometimes be overkill with this particular film stock. Ive found that when using an 81B with Velvia 100 in late afternoon light, the colours can look a bit artificial. I generally now expose Fuji Velvia without a filter. Though i would still use an 81B when shooting Velvia in shadow, and a polariser for other occasions. Here's a scanned medium format image I exposed using Fuji Velvia 100 at sunset. The only filter I used with this image was a UV filter to protect the lens.

http://www.photo-memory.com/picture_lib ... ons2lr.jpg

Chas, I look forward to seeing your finished film.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Have your filter disabled and knock off 1/3rd.
100D and Vision 3 please