Velvia vs. K40 -- clips with Fleshtones...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

Velvia vs. K40 -- clips with Fleshtones...

Post by CHAS »

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone has shown any of the new Velvia 50 stock showcasing how good the fleshtones can be...This isn't really a Velvia vs. K40 comparison...I just got some clips together to show what I'm shooting. I'm actually using about 7 different stocks (including the Fuji 64T and the Ektachrome 100D) which I'll post later. In the meantime here is a link to my film page. Click on the "clips" link to the right and download the .MOV files to see. Hope I did this right....

http://westsiderfilm.com/

CHAS
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Why did you change cameras for each clip??

Good Luck
charles8

Post by charles8 »

The fuji velvia looks excellent, fleshtones look very natural.. a great stock.
charles8

Post by charles8 »

Just watched the K40 file, and it also looks great, the fuji may just have the edge when it comes to grain, which I am most interested in. as I use a scope lens, this can increase the grain, did you use any filters with the fuji velvia, or is this just a normal set-up, without any changes.
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Nigel wrote:Why did you change cameras for each clip??

Good Luck
Well...we originally started shooting in October of 2005 with a different actor altogether...a young lad studying to be a cosmetologist (no jokes please) was our leading man...at that time my best camera was a Minolta XL-401 -- so the K40 in those clips was shot with that -- I mainly use this camera for time lapse now but I think the lens is fairly sharp in those HMI -balcony scenes at sunset. Very pleased. The actor had to flake due to work and school so I had to postpone filming at which time a friend happened to give me his slightly broken Elmo 1012S-XL. Anyway, the Elmo was best for interiors. I wanted to shoot the remaining exteriors with the much lighter and far more portable Canon 814 AZ -- since the exteriors were all shot guerilla film style, it was an easy choice to make. A friend lent us his Canon 1014-XLS for a couple of weekends, so that's the only reason why that was used -- when someone lends you something like that you automatically put away all your other cameras and use that! Sorry for the long answer to your question...it's late...I'm rambling...so what did you think of the footage, Nigel?
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

charles8 wrote:Just watched the K40 file, and it also looks great, the fuji may just have the edge when it comes to grain, which I am most interested in. as I use a scope lens, this can increase the grain, did you use any filters with the fuji velvia, or is this just a normal set-up, without any changes.
I didn't use any filters for the Fuji on the Balcony shots -- for the other scenes I believe the DP used an ND filter over the 1014-XLS.
Thanks, yes, I think the Fuji is better than the K40 for the grain.

I'll try to post more stocks tomorrow.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

The Fuji looked amazing. fine grain, excellent color, very sharp... and modern! The K40 looked good for K40, but the Velvia is more advanced. The 200T looked really nice under tungston. Can't wait to see some 100D. Hopefully Kodak will come around with some tight grain modern stocks for daylight, cause the only options are the custom loads right now.
100D and Vision 3 please
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The Fuji Velvia clip looked superb. Very fine grained, sharp and beautifully saturated colours. It's almost as if this stock was made for super 8! This might sound odd but the very first shot (of the guy running towards the camera) looked more like video to me - it just looked unusually clean. However at the same time, the colours, particularly the greens, were quite vibrant. The following two shots in the same clip looked more 'filmic' overall.

Unfortunately, the K40 clip didnt work for me. What I saw was half a frozen still of a girl holding a glass and the rest of the screen showed the title of the clip with the black background.

I also have to say I was very impressed with the quality of the transfer. I assume this was a rank transfer?
ossioskari

Post by ossioskari »

thanks for posting, chas! good to see velvia in action, amazing saturation. i think this is just what i'm looking for, we're headed to montenegro to shoot a short on velvia 50d and ektachrome 100d.

keep it coming, please.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Gee guys I got to disagree that Velvia almost made me puke (probably in the same colours too!!) - the smallness of the grain was fantastic - but the colour of the grass and the sky in that opening shot seemed so unrealistic to me. Have you pumped the saturation on it? - is that how it really is? - can you decrease the saturation?? - I thought the sky looked like a blue screen and you could comp something in on it - there seemed no variation or detail in it at all, even an open blue sky has some different shades in it.

Haven't checked the other clips yet - looks like it will be a good film though - good luck :-)

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Scotness wrote:Gee guys I got to disagree that Velvia almost made me puke (probably in the same colours too!!) - the smallness of the grain was fantastic - but the colour of the grass and the sky in that opening shot seemed so unrealistic to me. Have you pumped the saturation on it? - is that how it really is? - can you decrease the saturation?? - I thought the sky looked like a blue screen and you could comp something in on it - there seemed no variation or detail in it at all, even an open blue sky has some different shades in it.

Haven't checked the other clips yet - looks like it will be a good film though - good luck :-)

Scot

Interesting comments. Well the thing is, with the Velvia -- hope this doesn't sound too odd -- but you have to decrease the reds a bit for caucasian actors or the skin tones will look way out of whack. Even the greens were more vibrant originally. I sat in on each session and told the colorist (yes, this was a RANK transfer with a DaVinci color corrector at Spectra) to keep the Velvia and K40 as saturated as possible without making the skin tones look too unrealistic. The point of the whole movie is that the character lives in an unrealistic fantasy-land (obsessing over L.A.'s "Westside") so he sees his "westside world" as this beautiful, colorful, flawless landscape. Naturally the colors in this world won't be 100% realistic. I thought the Velvia would be perfect for this sort of attitude. When he goes to the dreaded San Fernando Valley to live in, the colors (because everything was shot on 7240 or 64T -- even a bit of the 160G!) will look far different -- unrealistic in another way altogether!
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

ossioskari wrote:thanks for posting, chas! good to see velvia in action, amazing saturation. i think this is just what i'm looking for, we're headed to montenegro to shoot a short on velvia 50d and ektachrome 100d.

keep it coming, please.
Good luck on your film -- would be great to see clips from Montenegro using those 2 stocks.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They don't look bad but the Fuji is a bit to saturated.

I would like to see how they cut togther rather than each by itself.

Good Luck
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

VELVIA - WOW !!! :D :D :D
Mitch Perkins

Re: Velvia vs. K40 -- clips with Fleshtones...

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Nice work! Loved the 50D - over-saturated yes, but you have a reason, and it looks so pretty.
200T looked a bit pink, but that's easy to deal with if you want to.
Didn't look at the Koda cuz that's over so who cares what it looks like? I assume it would exhibit the fine production values of the other scenes, which is really what you have going for you; your *use* of the stocks.

Really great work!

Mitch