Marantz PMD660 + Single/Super 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Arislan

Marantz PMD660 + Single/Super 8

Post by Arislan »

I'm about to order a PMD660. Seems to me most people agree it's better than MiniDisc.

I also have two extraneous reasons:

1) I don't have enough money for a Nagra 4.2

2) I need it here TUESDAY and the store has it.

I wonder, though, if I will need to have my cameras modified by the film group? I have a Canon 814xls and one of my ZC-1000s in mind.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

What do you mean by 'need'? Since you mentioned the film group I guess you mean their crystal sync modification. It's not strictly necessary.

FWIW, I use the PMD660 with an AKG C1000S for my shooting with a Kinor 16CX-2M. It works well. The preamps aren't the world's greatest and are a little on the hissy side, but if you use it with a high-output condenser and keep the levels reasonable it's fine. The built in mics are surprisingly OK also. Not for location shooting, but if you really have to grab something and are short on time they work in a pinch.

It's the only solid state recorder with XLR under $700 or so...
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

Evan, I leave to Brasil next week, I need to put the recorder in the moving boxes. Thanks for your input (no pun intended). I have sennheiser microphones, I don't remember the model, it's already packed up but maybe M66? Or K66...No idea...it was whatever replaced the Me-80.

So I'm placing the order. I have followed your posts here and even bought film from you last time I was abroad, so I trust your judgement, as well as all the other feedback I've read here about the machine. I'm ordering with overnight shipping so it gets here tuesday.

I think I'm also ordering some E64T since they only have negative in Brazil, and I'll grab some Fujichrome from Kent if he can overnight it.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

You should order from Mineroff (mineroff.com). Their price is quite a bit lower than other places online. $429, IIRC.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Evan Kubota wrote: It's the only solid state recorder with XLR under $700 or so...
What's wrong with 1/4"? We just got the m-audio microtrack and I'm pretty impressed with it. In fact, we're hitting the road for the current film and this little thing + a couple of extras makes a hell of a field setup, so I'm strongly leaning toward selling the Nagra. :(
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

I paid $525 total, because I needed guaranteed overnight delivery. But arigato for the link for future reference! ^-^
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"What's wrong with 1/4"?"

Nothing, I guess. I just don't really trust it or like it. There were a couple other issues with the M-Audio that steered me away from it - internal, sealed battery, not great metering, and from what I remember the inability to record in true mono. I did seriously consider it and for the price it's probably quite good.

Not to say the Marantz is perfect. As I said, the preamps aren't the best, and there are some little annoyances (card door is somewhat flimsy, certain brands don't work). It's generally a well-thought out device, though.

I was kind of surprised when I was shopping for audio systems that there's nothing out there offering XLR inputs, 16 bit uncompressed recording and reasonable build quality for $250-300. I guess the market segment is small enough (not most consumers) that there hasn't been any incentive to produce cheaper models.
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

If you find the recorded audio too noisy( too much hiss), these guys can do modifications :

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/h ... 0MODS.html