Automatic Splitting of WAV-files

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Automatic Splitting of WAV-files

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

I recorded all dialogues for my film and transfered them onto my PC. Unfortunately they ended up in a large 20min WAV-file. Is there any Windows-program that can split this wav-file by detecting silence (or nearly silence)? I already tried "splitwave", but it doesn't detect any "breaks" in my file :(

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
al77

Post by al77 »

there's one called waveknife i used in the past. you can adjust the threshold, when it dips under the threshold for the length of time you specify it splits it into a new track.

http://www.spacetaxi.de/sf/waveknife.html

good luck :-)
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

20 minutes?

Won't it take longer than 20 mins to research, purchase, download and install a new piece of software than it would to just play the wave file and cut it where necessary?

Roger
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

al77 wrote:there's one called waveknife i used in the past. you can adjust the threshold, when it dips under the threshold for the length of time you specify it splits it into a new track.

http://www.spacetaxi.de/sf/waveknife.html

good luck :-)
Thanks! It worked! :D
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

MovieStuff wrote:Won't it take longer than 20 mins to research, purchase, download and install a new piece of software than it would to just play the wave file and cut it where necessary?
Yes - that's why I asked here. And no - since the file consists of all dialogues in the film, recorded in post