bolex h16 -- using filters?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kettuz

bolex h16 -- using filters?

Post by kettuz »

As I'm soon finally getting to even shoot film with my bolex h16 non-rx, there is only one question left- how should I apply filters? My bolex is so old that it doesn't have a filterslot. I could buy a filter for each lens, but that doesn't seem to be the most economical way. So all tinkerers and bolex friends, is there another way?
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Matte box that takes standard square (6x6?) filters?

You could also consider something like a Cokin solution with a variety of step-up rings for your lenses, but you'll be spinning the cokin holder when you rotate to focus. Of course there are solutions for that too...
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Getting individual filters for your lenses, might actually be the most economical method to get filtration especially if your lenses use the same filter size. A slip-on adapter and one filter can easily be used to filter your lenses as you need them. Just a tought.

David M. Leugers[/u][/list]
clivetobin

Re: bolex h16 -- using filters?

Post by clivetobin »

kettuz wrote:My bolex is so old that it doesn't have a filterslot. ...
The traditional thing is to have a filter adapter ring for each lens, maybe series 5 (V) or 6 (VI) for larger lenses, and a filter for each. Old timers such as myself have heaps of Series filters and they often appear as sets on Ebay at low prices. Most of the adapter rings are likely hard to find these days. Some lenses had a built-in filter ring or hood.

My personal preference is to avoid using filters whenever possible, there is such a wide variety of film stocks available.

The tightwad approach is to cut a small gelatin filter and stick it behind the lenses, in front of the shutter, perhaps with a tiny piece of double-stick tape outside the light path, so it is there for all lenses. Easy to forget whether it is there or not though.
odyssic

Post by odyssic »

Wow, how old is your bolex? I've seen a few from the 50's that had those smaller, rounded gelatin filter holders.

Steven
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Filter rings for Switar lenses are difficult to come by. I use the ones off my H8RX presets. One set for each lens, and three of each color filter.

Filter slots were machined onto cameras without them. The older ones are the smaller filter holders. The larger are in demand for S16.

Other than that, the slip on filter ring is your best bet. Move it onto the taking lens each time.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

clivetobin wrote:...The tightwad approach is to cut a small gelatin filter and stick it behind the lenses, in front of the shutter, perhaps with a tiny piece of double-stick tape outside the light path...
Holey smoke!! You're serious??!! Ive never thought of that before.... and it kind of warps my mind some thinking about hanging a filter off the other end of the lens.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Why not just wrap a strip of folded masking tape around the front of the lens housing and buy filter material in 4x4" squares? I agree with Clive, I'd try to avoid using them, but if you have no choice and are working with a lot of different lenses I'd forget rings entirely.
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7594488331

This would be a good solution if you had the slot behind the lens...
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

clivetobin wrote:The tightwad approach is to cut a small gelatin filter and stick it behind the lenses, in front of the shutter, perhaps with a tiny piece of double-stick tape outside the light path, so it is there for all lenses.
On a Filmo you can use a 3/4" circlip to hold gelatin filters in place. Perhaps something similar is possible on a Bolex.
kettuz

Post by kettuz »

Thanks! :) I really have to look what I can find...
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

kettuz wrote:As I'm soon finally getting to even shoot film with my bolex h16 non-rx, there is only one question left- how should I apply filters? My bolex is so old that it doesn't have a filterslot. I could buy a filter for each lens, but that doesn't seem to be the most economical way. So all tinkerers and bolex friends, is there another way?
Use Series 5 filters and get a Series 5 adapter for your lens. If using the Switars and Yvars, these have 32mm filter thread diameter. Use the Tiffen #538 32F-5 series adapter. This is a common one and an easy to find adapter. For example check:
http://www.filterfind.net
go to Accessories ...... Stepping Rings ..... Series Adapters