Nautica - how to tell if meter works?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

richard p. t.

Nautica - how to tell if meter works?

Post by richard p. t. »

I am contemplating a Nautica being offered by someone on another continent who doesn't know much about super8 cameras. They can tell me that the motor runs, but they sey there is a needle in the viewfinder that does not move, no matter where they point the camera. Would this be the exposure indicator or just a film transport indicator? If it is the exposure indicator, I guess the meter must be stuffed unles it needs a cartridge to turn it 'on'. If its not the exposure indicator, what do I need to tell the seller for them to be able to test the meter on this camera for me?
Regards,
Richard
The Swede

Post by The Swede »

Hello

It sounds like the "backlight compensation + " warning

Tell them to look for the nob with 3 positions marked as follow
"+" " 0 " " on "
The knob is on the opposite side of the filmchamber.

The Nautiva tells you when you put the knob in " + " position (backlight) with a needle in the viewfinder.

Ask them to mowe the knob to the " on " position then the needle will go away assuming everything works properly.

Chees

Hans
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

The Swede is right.

Also, look trough the viewfinder. A red "flag" pops up on the left side when it is too dark. That is your exposure indication. When the lens is in the PMA position a yellow light is visible in the viewfinder.

Ask if the PMA attachment lens still is in the handle.