How much longer will Kodachrome be sold ?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Shanec8mm

How much longer will Kodachrome be sold ?

Post by Shanec8mm »

With Kodachrome in the Super8 format gone how much longer will it be around in 16mm and reg 8mm ? I have been filming with reg 8mm from dwaynes for the last couple months, as I just got into filming for the first time this year and let me tell you it is alot of fun. But with recent post on here it sounds like reg 8mm may be gone soon which is a sad thing since reg 8mm comes from 16mm. are there really any people still shooting in 16mm ? I hope so because that may help reg 8mm stay for alittle longer.
I would like to atleast shoot some film for awhile yet but I'm afraid once reg 8mm goes so does my hobby which will make for a sad day for me.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi, notice John from kodak keeping quiet on this one. My theory is the announcement will be made next year for a Dec 2007 shutdown of all kodachrome. Kodak have to let the dust settle first after super 8 k40 was given the axe. Dont forget k25 was the first to go, which was kodaks finest film. I shoot 16mm k40, hardly ever used the stock until k25 was axed. I really cant see many people shooting 16mm k40, especially as it aint anywhere near the quality of k25
marc

Post by marc »

cineandy wrote:Hi, notice John from kodak keeping quiet on this one. My theory is the announcement will be made next year for a Dec 2007 shutdown of all kodachrome. Kodak have to let the dust settle first after super 8 k40 was given the axe. Dont forget k25 was the first to go, which was kodaks finest film. I shoot 16mm k40, hardly ever used the stock until k25 was axed. I really cant see many people shooting 16mm k40, especially as it aint anywhere near the quality of k25

WHY DON'T WE ASK HIM. HEY, JOHN PYTLAK, WHAT IS THE STORY WITH KODACHROME? IS IT GOING TO DISAPPEAR ALTOGETHER IN ANY FORMAT? IS THAT WHY JOHN SCHWIND WAS UNCERTAIN ABOUT PROVIDING R8 K40 BUT FINALLY RELENTED? WILL YOU CONTINUE TO PLEAD IGNORANCE OR JUST BE SILENT AND NOT COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE? I MET A GUY FROM KODAK IN ORLANDO. I KNEW HE LIVED IN ROCHESTER AND I ASKED HIM IF HE WORKED FOR KODAK. HIS RESPONSE WAS " SO FAR" . HE SAID THOSE BUILDINGS THAT WERE BEING TORN DOWN WERE NOT OLD AND OBSOLETE AS YOU CLAIMED (WITH A LITTLE WINK AFTER SAYING IT). THAT SEEMS CONTRARY TO WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THEM IN THE PAST. I KNOW THAT YOU WILL PROBABLY SAY THAT YOU DON'T REMEMBER THE CONVERSATION INSTEAD OF ANSWERING TO THIS DIRECTLY!
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

marc wrote:IS IT GOING TO DISAPPEAR ALTOGETHER IN ANY FORMAT?
This reminds me of a parable...

"Learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, know that the end is near..." Matthew 24:29-35

This is imminent. It is just a question of when.

By the way, there seems to be a problem with your keyboard. Got stucked with caps.
marc

Post by marc »

NO mistake with the caps. (Stuck not Stucked)
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

LastQuark wrote:"In the same way, when you see all these things, know that the end is near..."[/i] Matthew 24:29-35

This is imminent. It is just a question of when.
Jeez Louise, you're comparing Kodachrome's passing to the Apocalypse? What is the difference between a fan and a fanatic anyway?

Take a pill, walk away, go shoot some speckly ektachrome, but don't speak of the Crucifiction of Kodachrome. It's far too much. :(
etimh

Post by etimh »

To paraphrase Booster's boys, Kodachrome is bigger than Jesus.

At least in my world. :P

Tim
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

audadvnc wrote:What is the difference between a fan and a fanatic anyway?
The former has been shortened from the latter for ease of use?
Tim wrote:To paraphrase Booster's boys, Kodachrome is bigger than Jesus.

At least in my world. :P
*imagines a Jesus crucified on a giant Kodapak*
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
film_idaho

Post by film_idaho »

John Pytlak's silences annoys the fuck out of me. I'm sure man of very little intellect can comprehend this very question:

"Will Kodak discontinue the Kodachrome 40 Type A (7268 / 7270) line of movie films in the 16mm and 35mm filming formats?"

John answer this simple question please!

-Alex Mason (film_idaho)
Eat or make art? I choose art.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

In keeping with the new cult of K- here, I propose we nominate & rename him Pontius Pytlak 8)
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

audadvnc wrote:In keeping with the new cult of K- here, I propose we nominate & rename him Pontius Pytlak 8)
Manus manum lavat. :P
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

The future of KODACHROME film depends on the market and the profitability in continuing to offer it. With only three labs offering KODACHROME processing in the world, and alternative films available, the market is certainly not growing.

In case you haven't noticed, the majority of Kodak's revenue now comes from digital imaging. So there is consolidation of film manufacturing facilities, with the best ones being improved and the outdated ones being decommissioned. Nonetheless, Kodak is selling more motion-picture film than ever.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

How long will it be before people realise the way to ensure future production for Kodachrome or film in general is to ensure the demand remains. The most useful thing would be to get out and promote its use instead of fussing at Kodak, especially John who in the end does not make these decisions. I'm amazed he still posts here.

Kodak is a business like any other - if it is not porofitable to produce a particular product, they wont do it, and why should they? Either they are running a business or a charity.

Therefore the best thing anyone can do to support film usage, still or motion picture, is to get out and promote it. I do this by shooting wedding videos in 16mm and photographing professionally stills on film. This then promotes its usage by illustrating it is viable and a superb medium.

What are YOU doing?
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

matt5791 wrote:
What are YOU doing?
I have my (humble) website...

But the average user will never return to film... Never.

So who are the users, these days?
Art students, (semi) professional filmmakers...
Freaks, like some (most?) of us....

I hope this is enough worldwide to let Kodak still make profit of it.
I understand very well Kodak -and others- are commercial company's.

Fred.
Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

I´m not worried about kodachrome films discontinuance. This will happen soon or later.
My preoccupation is: Will Kodak release a new very fine grain reversal stock wich can beat K-40 to avoid missing it??

etimh wrote:
To paraphrase Booster's boys, Kodachrome is bigger than Jesus.
At least in my world.

Nah, John could say "Kodachrome is today more popular than Jesus, you know..." :wink:
Last edited by Carlos 8mm on Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos.