Super8today magazine, what do you all think?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

What do you think of the super8 today mag? (consider content and value)

great
38%
good
21%
mediocre
7%
disappointing
No votes
I have ordered but not recieved my copy yet
3%
I have not ordered it yet
17%
I have no plans on getting this magazine
14%

Total votes: 29

chachi

Super8today magazine, what do you all think?

Post by chachi »

I recieved mine last week and am very pleased with it. Espesially when you consider the price I paid and that I had it 1 week after paying. If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and pick it up... IF you have it already, what do you think???

no spoilers for the others..
Last edited by chachi on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
etimh

Post by etimh »

I think it is great. My only complaint is that there is not more of it. :wink:

Tim
reflex

Post by reflex »

There were some interesting stories in it, but I think the layout needs a bit of work.

I was disappointed that it was only 40 pages (half the size of small format) and that there were only six pages which featured color photos.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
hassan

Post by hassan »

Has the feel of a magazine knocked up by a group of first year media students using Pagemaker 2.0.
A good effort, keep it up.
etimh

Post by etimh »

hassan wrote:Has the feel of a magazine knocked up by a group of first year media students using Pagemaker 2.0.
Now what good does this do, hassan? We are looking to generate positive feedback and word of mouth here. You're not helping with your lame critical observations and back-handed "encouragement."

Tim
hassan

Post by hassan »

I thought it rather witty myself. Unlike lots of people on this board, I support, by subscribing to, both Small Format and Super 8 Today.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

etimh wrote: Now what good does this do, hassan? We are looking to generate positive feedback and word of mouth here.
I thought the title of this thead was "Super8todaymagazine, what do you all think?". While I think the layout is better than Hassan has described, he was telling us what he thought about the magazine. Personally, I kind of like the "hands on" no-nonsense, no-fluff feel of it. Very nostalgic of specialty mags like this from the 70s. Neat-o.

Roger

NOTE: Can I say "neat-o"?
etimh

Post by etimh »

MovieStuff wrote:I thought the title of this thead was "Super8todaymagazine, what do you all think?"
Well, whether hassan's comment was meant to be constructive or just clever, it fell flat on both counts. Its not the time for stupid petty nit-picking about a project like this. As has been made abundantly clear with the smallformat subscription "countdown to death," we are at an extremely important moment for the format, and by consequence, the life of these magazines. We need to create positive momentum here to build interest for potential subscribers, contributers, and advertisers. Go spend your energy bad-mouthing something that deserves the criticism. Super8Today certainly doesn't need nor deserve it.

Tim
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I think it is a hell of an effort and quite a pleasant surprise in this day and age. I too liked the look and feel of the magazine and the articles. Keep up the good work!

David M. Leugers
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Read it cover to cover including every ad.

Suprised at how heavy the paper stock was, it felt "substanial." Design is ok, but the content is great. I agree with Roger, the no-fluff feel is there, and it was really a big issue.

I was actually very interested in the ads since the internet has been the only source I can find on Super 8 companies and I know there must be more out there.

Great effort. I think we should all contribute as much as possible both in subscriptions and content to keep it going.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

etimh wrote:Go spend your energy bad-mouthing something that deserves the criticism. Super8Today certainly doesn't need nor deserve it.
Excuse me? Hassan said it was a good effort and to keep it up and is a subscriber to both mags. I said I liked the look and feel of it, as well. Hell, I wrote an article for the damned thing and I have a full page ad on the inside front cover of both publications. So don't talk to me like I don't show support, Tim. :roll:

Roger
etimh

Post by etimh »

MovieStuff wrote:Excuse me?
Yes, although I started addressing you in that post, the last comment was in no way directed towards you, Roger. It was for hassan. My sincere apologies for the confusion on that.

I would never question your dedication to the format or the community. Your support for the two magazines is awesome--those two full page ads are an important sign of commitment to all of us. And I for one thank you for that.

Also, thought your article was excellent by the way.

Sorry again for that confusion.

Tim
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

etimh wrote: Sorry again for that confusion.

Tim
No biggie. Glad you like the article!

Roger
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

hassan wrote:Has the feel of a magazine knocked up by a group of first year media students using Pagemaker 2.0.
A good effort, keep it up.
As for the layout: Is it just "boring" or "amateurish"? Or is it confusing (e.g. photos separated from their articles? Or e.g. an article that could have fit onto one page was divided into small text blocks that were spread over ten pages)?

Even if you don't like the layout: what about the articles: Have the texts been interesting? Did they help you? ...? How do they compare to the "Small Format"?
mattias

Post by mattias »

etimh wrote:We need to create positive momentum here
yeah, everyone should pick up tim's always nice and positive attitude and i'm sure super 8 will die even faster. ;-)

/matt