16mm projector for sound REC

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Jam

16mm projector for sound REC

Post by Jam »

Hello Guys,

I am seriously looking for a 16mm sound recordable projector, can some one guide me to Ebay for a good one.

There is many sound 16mm projector, but not for record sound on Magnetic stripe....

need your help. Thanks a lot!!

Jam :)
svabo

Post by svabo »

There are very few of these movie projectors, Bolex S221 is the only I know.
Ask on side http://8mmforum.film-tech.com, there exists mutch knowledge on movie projectors.
phil464

Post by phil464 »

Hello,

you can try to find a Bauer P7 MS or a Bauer P8 M, they are very good projectors but hard to find, especially in a good shape.

I just bought one from ebay, but couldn't try it out because of the belts which need to be changed...
clivetobin

Re: 16mm projector for sound REC

Post by clivetobin »

Jam wrote: I am seriously looking for a 16mm sound recordable projector, can some one guide me to Ebay for a good one.
Well known ones are the older style Bell & Howell 302 and 202. Kodak also made one, I think the MK5 and also a newer solid state "upright" model but I forget the name of it. The first three all had tube amps. Graflex/Telex had some recording models also. The JAN military projectors were also made in a recording version. All of these are rare compared to the usual optical sound only models.
robbie

Post by robbie »

do the Bell and Howell filmosound projectors produce quality audio onto mag stripe? these are easy to find in the states. also, where would you get 16mm striped?
clivetobin

Post by clivetobin »

robbie wrote:do the Bell and Howell filmosound projectors produce quality audio onto mag stripe? these are easy to find in the states. also, where would you get 16mm striped?
It's not too bad by 1950's standards. A major drawback is the absence of a decent level meter, just a flashing neon light. The arcing governor contacts and motor brushes make a wicked static that can get into the high-Z mike circuit if it isn't perfectly shielded. All of the capacitors in the amp circuit are likely bad by now and should be replaced.

Of course there is no sync motor drive so the speed accuracy depends on how closely the governor was adjusted and how much it has drifted since.

The best way to get a mag stripe used to be to film on mag-prestriped stock, which is of course no longer made.

Maybe someone else can provide names of outfits that are still doing it?
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

If you are serious about it I would go for a JAN. It is a beast of a projector, built to withstand just about anything and is extremely gentle on film. To record on the mag stripe requires a separate sound amplifier which has a wonderful VU meter to set the sound level with. By installing a sync motor (available from ICECO in Miami) you will have the equivalent of a professional mag recording setup and I can attest to the excellent sound capabilities. Remember that you will require a JAN with Mag sound capability and will need to get the separate sound recording amp ( I got mine from ICECO some years ago) and then modify your projector with a sync motor. Good luck.

David M. Leugers