using the kodachrome cine 40

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Shanec8mm

using the kodachrome cine 40

Post by Shanec8mm »

I have a question concering the new kodachrome cine 40 8mm film. I have a bell and howell camera from 1957. The camera has the electronic eye feature, and a lever that sets the camera for outdoor or indoor use.
The camera manual states that when the lever is pushed in the camera is set to film at ASA 10 outdoors, and when pulled out it is set for ASA 16.
When using the kodachrome cine 40 in this older camera with an #85 filter should I set the camera at ASA 10 using this lever or pull it out so the eye can see more light at ASA 16 ? any info would help.
thanks...
etimh

Post by etimh »

Shanec8mm wrote:I have a question concering the new kodachrome cine 40 8mm film.
"new Kodachrome cine 40 8mm film?"

Say what?

Are you talking about old Kodachrome 40, or new Ektachrome 64? Or am I missing something?

C'mon veterans, help this guy out. 8O

Tim
Angus

Post by Angus »

Well he's talking about a stadard 8 camera so it is the CineChrome 40 (which is actually Kodachrome 40 in disguise) and which is continuing in production for the forseeable future.

Obviously our new friend has a new reel of CineChrome 40.

This film should be exposed as 25ASA with the filter outdoors, or 40ASA without the filter under artificial light (indoors).

K40 can handle under exposure quite well but doesn't take kindly to over exposure. If exposed at 10 ASA (for the original Kodachrome cine films from the 30's) you'd end up with washed out, over exposed films that are a struggle to view.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
etimh

Post by etimh »

Thanks Angus, that's the clarification I was looking for. :D

Though it seems to me that I should have run into this information before now, I don't know anything about Regular 8 cameras or the stocks available for them. Good place to start.

I appreciate you taking the time.

Tim
Angus

Post by Angus »

I am surprised that a camera as late as 1957 is calibrated for the 10ASA original Kodachrome cine film as I am pretty sure Kodachrome II (25ASA) was the norm by then.

Certainly earlier 8mm cameras were often calibrated for 10 and 16ASA films as those were the the most common speeds encountered ourdoors/indoors. Some higher end cameras could be adjusted to faster speeds up to 50ASA for B&W films. Many later 8mm camears (1960-) were adjustable from 10-100 or even 200ASA - at least that is what I find...presumably to encounter anything from old Kchrome up to tri-x.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

etimh wrote: I don't know anything about Regular 8 cameras or the stocks available for them.
I have to tell you, all the cool kids have them 8)
alpha.tango

Post by alpha.tango »

Angus wrote:I am surprised that a camera as late as 1957 is calibrated for the 10ASA original Kodachrome cine film as I am pretty sure Kodachrome II (25ASA) was the norm by then.

Certainly earlier 8mm cameras were often calibrated for 10 and 16ASA films as those were the the most common speeds encountered ourdoors/indoors. Some higher end cameras could be adjusted to faster speeds up to 50ASA for B&W films. Many later 8mm camears (1960-) were adjustable from 10-100 or even 200ASA - at least that is what I find...presumably to encounter anything from old Kchrome up to tri-x.

Kodachrome 11 at 25 ASA was introduced in 1961 and replaced the original Kodachrome at 10 ASA - My first cine camera (a Kodak Brownie)was bought new as a Christmas present for me in 1963 and had exposure guides for both types - I've just pulled it out of the loft to check - Clockwork still running smoothly so might put a roll of double 8 through for old times sake !
Shanec8mm

so now what ?

Post by Shanec8mm »

Well it sounds as though i will not be able to use this camera with the new cine 40. Maybe what I might try just for the hell of it is to set the camera at ASA 16 and use a #85 filter and just see what comes out, that sucks because i just bought this camera from ebay and it is like new. I like the simple features of the old bell and howells. Sounds like i may have to bid on something newer.
etimh

Post by etimh »

filmbuff wrote:
etimh wrote: I don't know anything about Regular 8 cameras or the stocks available for them.
Well, filmbuff, if you're not just kidding with me, what are the top two or three cameras that I should definitely research and keep on the look out for?

I already started this morning with an intensive catch-up course learning everything I can about regular 8. 8O

I WILL be one of the cool kids, if its the last thing I do. :P

Thanks.

Tim
alpha.tango

Post by alpha.tango »

Film speed setting should not be a problem - I cannot be certain without knowing exact details of your camera but I would guess that at that age the metering (if it still works) is not through the lens but is external - ie probably a honeycomb type window over a selenium cell. Almost definite if no batteries used.

All this means is that it will seek to overexpose the film by about one stop and a bit ( eg for 10 ASA rather than 25 or 16 rather than 40)

All you need to do is add a 0.3 neutral density filter ( plus the 85) over the taking lens to cut the light by one stop. Should be close enough.

(If it had been the other way with the film speeds taping the ND over the meter window would have the reverse effect)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Tim wrote:
Well, filmbuff, if you're not just kidding with me, what are the top two or three cameras that I should definitely research and keep on the look out for?
well I'm not Filmbuff, but I'd suggest the Leicina 8S (but I'm a Leicina addict ;-) )
Everyone else will suggest Bolex's or that Canon :roll:

BTW you and Santo should have a drink together- I think you'd soon be good buddies.

Mark
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

So basically what you are saying is to put 2 filters on the front part of the lens housing ? and allow the camera to run at ASA 10 for outdoor as intended for this model ? what would happen if I just used the #85 filter ?
and allowed the camera to run at ASA 10 ? my bell and howell also has a exposure control that can be set automatically or manually. It says in the manual that if this is set "auto" the lens sets itself. Also above that control is a exposure indicator that seems to work good, I have tested it under different lighting with the exposure control on auto and it changes settings as the light coming in changes. The electric eye also seems to to work properlly, if I look at the lens in sun light the shutter seems to open and close. [/img]
etimh

Post by etimh »

Sparky wrote: BTW you and Santo should have a drink together- I think you'd soon be good buddies.
I know, totally. I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to get drunk with him and shoot guns. :twisted:

Wow, how many wrong things about that scenario can you identify? :wink:

Tim
alpha.tango

Post by alpha.tango »

Yes - based on my guess on the camera layout , that is what I am suggesting. With the 85 alone , and assumptions as above, the camera would over expose the faster film.

However , picking up on your comment that there is a manual setting , I would personally use this with a handheld meter and forget about the camera auto setting - after the best part of 50 years the internal meter could easily be inaccurate by far more than the difference in film speeds.
super8man

Post by super8man »

etimh wrote:
filmbuff wrote:

I already started this morning with an intensive catch-up course learning everything I can about regular 8. 8O

I WILL be one of the cool kids, if its the last thing I do. :P

Thanks.

Tim
Bolex K2
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/